Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghost ipad - touches randomly and types, jumps across different pages and won't stop. It's possessed! Help me!

My iPad has been acting very ghost-like, typing randomly and switching between different screens. When I check my mail, it starts deleting messages. It has and invisible finger typing and touching things, also opening apps. It's possessed. What do i do???????😕😠😢

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, Possessed iPad

Posted on May 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2013 4:42 PM

Do a reboot by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears and it restarts, ignoring the red slider if that appears.

If that does not help, visit an Apple store genius bar to have it tested.

By the way, do you have a screen protector installed? Those can cause very erratic screen behavior.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2013 4:42 PM in response to TEthanK

Do a reboot by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears and it restarts, ignoring the red slider if that appears.

If that does not help, visit an Apple store genius bar to have it tested.

By the way, do you have a screen protector installed? Those can cause very erratic screen behavior.

May 14, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thx for the help. I tried both, rebooting and restarting, and went to the genius bar. They said to back it up and erase all data. I did that and spent like two hours trying to upload everything back on.

It's two days after, 😐 it still glitches.

I've scheduled anotehr genius bar meeting this wednesday.

BTW - whats a screen protector?

Thx

May 30, 2013 2:36 PM in response to TEthanK

I Had the ghost touching problem and found that when I held the ipad with the screen facing the floor, the ghosting stopped. I reasoned it must be something loose that made contact in the normal position. The only thing I could come up with was the home button. The home button assembly consists of a frame, a small circuit board that makes contact with the motherboard to move the pages etc, the button , and a spring retainer between the button and the small circuit board. If the retainer is missing or has moved out of position, the button does not spring away from the circuit board and any movement of the ipad allows the bottom to make intermittent contact to move pages etc. I opened the ipad up and sure enough the retainer was missing. I reinstalled the button assembly with the spring retainer, put everything back together, voila the ghosting stopped. My iPod is like new. The problem you will face to fix this, you have to remove the glass screen of the ipad. Not an easy job. And bad things may happen in the process. Google a service to do it for you. May cost you a hundred bucks. There may be other reasons for ghosting but this. Fix worked. Good luck.

Jul 6, 2013 9:15 PM in response to TEthanK

I had this problem on my iPad 2 and nobody in Apple could help me, tried all the above suggestions numerous times to no avail. Eventually figured out what I believe to be the problem.

We had installed a new carpet throughout our home and also run a fan assisted slow combustion wood heater. It was winter and the dry air combined with the static of the new carpet caused a build up of static electricity. Also may have been exacerbated by clothing as the iPad was cradled whilst sitting in the lounge chair by the fire.

Totally discharged the iPad, thoroughly cleaned it front and back with antistatic liquid and cloth, rebooted it and no more issues.

Jul 28, 2014 2:51 PM in response to TEthanK

I have had the same problem with my iPad 2. I have been to the Apple store three times - each time a new suggestion but no fix. The last time I did a complete back up and a complete restore and it now seems much worse than before. I have a 64 GB with 3G and because it is just out of warranty I was offered $250 towards an iPad 4 16 GB - not a fair trade in my opinion. This is my second iPad 2 the first one developed "theater lights" and was replaced for $250 so really don't wan't to put any more money into this machine.

Don't really want to leave Apple but thinking that perhaps it is time as I am really disappointed with their after sales service.

Oct 29, 2014 7:02 PM in response to TEthanK

my problem solved by this

same problem happen to my mini ipad gen 1 last months with ios7.0.6.

issue gone for a while after a clean upgrade to 8.1 (no restoration), but problem happen again after few software installation.

i removed the software 1 by 1 and finally problem solved after removing of chrome.

now everything back to normal. hope it helps.

Ghost ipad - touches randomly and types, jumps across different pages and won't stop. It's possessed! Help me!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.