Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 battery drain when powered off

Lately I've been turning off my phone and when I turn it back on battery is drained. Yesterday I turned it off at 80% and when I turned it back on 3 hours later it was at 62%. Then today I turned it off at 50% and when I turned it back on it was at 32%! Does anyone know why my iPhone is losing battery even when it's completely powered off? I feel like it shouldn't be losing any battery at all

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 14, 2013 4:13 PM

3 replies

Jul 8, 2013 9:50 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Usable Li-Ion batteries don't self-discharge at these sorts of rates and self-discharge wouldn't appear to explain why the phone only discharges rapidly when powered off.

My phone has the same problem, though it is intermittent. I turn my phone off at night and back on the next day, though sometimes the phone remains off for up to 3 days. The phone will always restart at 100% charge (I always charge it before shutting down), regardless of how long it's been off. However, about once a month the battery will be completely empty the next morning (less than 12 hours after recharge/shutdown), which means that I'll start that day with a dead phone. If the phone is left powered on instead, it will lose only about 4% overnight. I'm now leaving my phone turned ON overnight just to avoid draining the battery, which is just nuts! It's hard to imagine why a faulty or aging lithium-ion battery would behave this way.

Just to make sure I've been clear, the battery drains rapidly only when the phone is turned OFF and in my case it only does this intermittently. @whypham seems to be experiencing it every time he/she turns off their phone.

Mar 22, 2015 5:25 AM in response to whypham

With the same problem (100% charged iPod Touch discharges to about 50% over 5 hours completely shut down), I have been searching for guidance on what to do about it and make my device usable again, but I haven't come across any answers. The problem came suddenly about a month ago--rapid drain when powered on, in standby, or powered off completely.

What did you end up learning and doing to resolve it?

iPhone 4 battery drain when powered off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.