Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 16:9 Export settings that will prevent iDVD from playing back at 4:3

HI, I’ve been searching high and wide for a FCPX export setting that will preserve 16:9 in iDVD and not play back as 4:3.

When previewing files that were exported in FCP 10.0.8 using the “Master File” option preserving its default setting of "H.264 1441x1080" I get a file that Quicktime that is

“H.264, 1,440 x 1,080 (1,920 x 1,080)”

16x9 files imported from other sources such as iMovie preview fine in the same project. iDVD project is of course set at 16X9 and its menus are displaying correct.

Rather than adding extra steps and making adjustment in QT Pro, Compressor or Wondershare, I would prefer finding a way I can change export setting in FCPX to preserve my chapter markers and keep my workflow streamlined

Let me know if you would like extra setting info. Thx in advance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2x3 Ghz duel core, (24 GB Mem)

Posted on May 14, 2013 4:45 PM

7 replies

May 14, 2013 11:20 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I think I've finally cracked it. I opend the properties of the project in FCPX and found that the video properties were set to 1440 x 1080!!. I changed them to 1920 x 1080. I've exported a small segment and dragged it into iDVD whereupon it now plays in 16:9 - at last!

The annoying thing is the way Quicktime reported the earlier videos I'd exported as being “1,440 x 1,080 (1,920 x 1,080)”

Apparently iDVD likes its video to have square pixels.

Im glad this worked without having to convert every video I export from FCPX.

Tom: I usually export everything as H.264 since I capture all my footage at its original size. I thought that since I don’t capture as optimized Pro-Res, then my exported video couldn’t benefit from selecting Pro Res. Am I incorrect?

May 15, 2013 1:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

In addition to exporting the master file as ProRes.. would you also encourage users to capture all footage as Optimized/ ProRes? If i had to pick between one or the other id much rather export the footage as ProRes than have to create the space to capture all my footage as ProRes. In my case, im exporting to a regular DVD, not Blu-Ray. Do you know of any good resources that address this subject (Pro Res/ Optimized vs. Orignial H.264)?

FCPX 16:9 Export settings that will prevent iDVD from playing back at 4:3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.