Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the "Tones" tab to show up in iTunes

I made a custom ringtone with an app and saved it to my desktop. When I try to add the Tone to my library, it doesn't show up. Then when I sync my iPhone, in iTunes "Sync Ringtones" isn't an option.

iPhone 4S, Windows 98

Posted on May 14, 2013 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 3:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

Those experiencing DISAPPEARANCE of TONES TAB on iTunes, maybe this may help you as I found out the solution. After updating my iPhone iOS, the Ringtones on my iPhone suddenly disappeared, and also the Tones Tab on my iTunes on my Macbook also disappeared. I can't find also the Show Tones Tab checkbox on Preferences, maybe, is it because I dont have any ringtone stored on my iphone.

So what I did, I used other iTunes on my other Mac or any Laptop/Desktop that has a iTunes installed, there you can find a Tones Tab. Sync in your iPhone, go to APPS, scroll down to FILE SHARING, click your RINGTONE APP CREATOR, click your RINGTONE FILE (.m4r), click SAVE TO, just save it to Desktop so you can easily find it. Next is, go back to TONES TAB, there you cannot still see the file, go to your ringtone file that you save on your Desktop, it's a SQUARE file, right? 😝 Just double click one of the EDGES of that file so that it will automatically sync on iTunes, then just go back to your TONES TAB, there you can see now your Ringtone File, just click sync. Hehe! 😝

Unplug your iPhone, go to SETTINGS, go to SOUNDS, then go to RINGTONE, there you go. 😉

Thank you! #HappyNewYear2017

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 3:44 AM in response to UsernamePam

Hi Everyone,

Those experiencing DISAPPEARANCE of TONES TAB on iTunes, maybe this may help you as I found out the solution. After updating my iPhone iOS, the Ringtones on my iPhone suddenly disappeared, and also the Tones Tab on my iTunes on my Macbook also disappeared. I can't find also the Show Tones Tab checkbox on Preferences, maybe, is it because I dont have any ringtone stored on my iphone.

So what I did, I used other iTunes on my other Mac or any Laptop/Desktop that has a iTunes installed, there you can find a Tones Tab. Sync in your iPhone, go to APPS, scroll down to FILE SHARING, click your RINGTONE APP CREATOR, click your RINGTONE FILE (.m4r), click SAVE TO, just save it to Desktop so you can easily find it. Next is, go back to TONES TAB, there you cannot still see the file, go to your ringtone file that you save on your Desktop, it's a SQUARE file, right? 😝 Just double click one of the EDGES of that file so that it will automatically sync on iTunes, then just go back to your TONES TAB, there you can see now your Ringtone File, just click sync. Hehe! 😝

Unplug your iPhone, go to SETTINGS, go to SOUNDS, then go to RINGTONE, there you go. 😉

Thank you! #HappyNewYear2017

Sep 16, 2017 11:18 PM in response to nef.kliens

Hi.

Have just had my 5s replaced with an SE running iOS 10.3.3, & also upgraded iTunes to 12.7.0.166. (on a Windwows 7 PC).

After restoring my backups I can't see a 'Tones' folder in iTunes. It doesn't show up as a selectable option in the 'Media Kind' dropdown box either.

I've tried many methods, but am still not able to add my old ringtones file that I was using on my 5s.

I even tried adding a 'Tones' folder in the iTunes Media folder & putting the .m4r files there, but that didn't work.

Your method looks good, but I don't have another computer that has the older version of iTunes to connect to.

Do you have any other ideas, or do I just need to Complain bitterly to Apple, who really don't care if they stuff things up for users or Not?

Nov 1, 2017 9:32 PM in response to UsernamePam

so, so, so, so frustrated! I've spent hours. I've watched videos, read what's in here, I've looked everywhere, tried everything.............. still not working!!! If Apple is reading this I totally DISlike your changes! In the last 2 years I've lost all my music and I've repeatedly had install the app and it's really a piece of crap now. Used to love it.

Nov 26, 2017 8:44 AM in response to UsernamePam

You can follow Chrleesha's advice and Turingtest2's too. The last step that is not specified anywhere is that, once you have converted and renamed you files as .m4r, BEFORE copying the .m4r to your Tone file on your device, you have to DELETE the original files (the 30 second ones) in your library. (Otherwise you can try to paste or drag any m4r file you want, it won't show in your Tones file.)

That's how it worked for me.

May 14, 2013 5:52 PM in response to UsernamePam

The Tones sync setting will only appear if you have added a rigntone to your library. To check to see if it was added to your library, go to Edit>Preferences, on the General tab make sure Tones is checked under Show. Then go to View>Show Sidebar. Tones should now be visible on the top left under Library; click the Tones folder and see if your ringtone is there. If not, it wasn't successfully added to your library.

How do I get the "Tones" tab to show up in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.