Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I authorize my computer for itunes?

I must be an idiot, because I read the directions on how to authorize my laptop for itunes and could not figure it out. I tried going to accounts but there is no option to authorize in there. I did deauthorize 2 old computers. Icloud is holding all my old purchases hostage and I want them back. Please help.

Windows 8

Posted on May 14, 2013 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Press the Alt and S keys and choose Authorize this Computer, or click here, follow the instructions, click on Store in the menu bar, and choose Authorize this Computer.

(82699)

32 replies

Nov 6, 2013 3:54 AM in response to katbaber111

You know what, F*ck Apple!

I have been a loyal customer of Apple and purchased several of their products.

I am sick and tired of their convoluted processes for adapting new purchases.

I just recently purchased a new iPhone 5 to replace my 4s. And have had to replace my laptop after dropping the last one accidentally.

It has taken me hours of frustration to finally figure out how to transfer my iTunes and back-up my old phone. I am so ****** off. I too followed the directions on the support page and spent ages trying to figure out how to find the 'store' menu and 'authorise my computer.'

That's because it is hidden away in the least obvious place you can imagine. I had to trawl the message boards to to finally find the answer.

I can only come to the conclusion that Apple does not want to help you transfer and update your old devices. They want you to give up due to the difficutly and start anew.

Well f*ck you Apple. Look after your loyal customers. Make things more user friendly. Make your instructions clear on how to do things.

Dec 11, 2013 9:38 AM in response to slhazlitt

slhazlitt, I couldn't agree more. The instructions on how to authorize a computer are just plain incorrect on the apple help pages, and the process for finding your apple ID only resets your password. I can not beleive this 2-bit excuse for a company is supposedly one of the most successful America has to offer. I just hope it is like the 70s/80s GM or Chrysler, on the the verge of getting its *** handed to it by a Honda or Toyota equivalent that will give Americans their first look at what service and quality actually mean.

Dec 26, 2013 3:06 AM in response to katbaber111

Well, I was stuck as well but I figured it out:-) I've got windows 8 and I downloaded itunes, in the top left hand corner, there's a symbol thing, it's basically a box split in half, one side white, one black. Click on the symbol and go down to iTunes Store, go on the arrow pointing to the right and go down to 'Authorise This Computer' and type in your account password etc. and it should come up with '?Computer Authorisation was Successful'. Hope I could help:-)

Jan 4, 2014 2:00 PM in response to katbaber111

just: go on your itunes -----> press 'alt' -----> Store -----> Autherize this Computer = problem solved 🙂

or

just: go on your itunes -----> press 'alt' ------> press S ------> Autherize this Computer

The menu bar (says: file, edit, view, controls, store, help : on the top left corner) only stays on the screen once you press 'alt' until you close or exit itunes, then once you open itunes agin it will be gone. But if you want to keep the menue screen at the top left corner everytime you open up itunes follow the instuctions down below.

v v v v v

How to keep the menue bar:

just: go on your itunes -----> press 'alt' -----> View -----> Show Menu Bar = problem solved 🙂

how do I authorize my computer for itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.