Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split Location of iTunes Media Folder

Hey guys. I was wondering if this was possible;

Split your iTunes Library between two drives. Leave your 40GB of music on your Laptop SSD and your 546GB of TV Shows, Movies, and Home Videos on an External Drive.

I currently have the entire library on an external drive and it's no good. I never have my music other than when I am sitting in front of my computer.

I'm sure I could 'renegade' this and simply copy my music to the SSD drive on my laptop, but everytime I turn on iTunes or plug in my phone, I'd have to go into preferences and make sure it's all good. If I download a Movie, gotta make sure everything's lined up all good. But if it's music, gotta change it, make sure it's all lined up again. Crap! Don't want to do that. I have created a graphic design of what the interface should look like when you set the location of your iTunes Media folder. This is what I want. It doens't exist. Does anybody know how to make it exist, other than waiting for Apple™ to get it together.

User uploaded file

Thanks for any and all help.

NOTE: Please avoid responses involving 'iTunes Match', or 'iCloud'. I don't want to be at the mercy of an internet connection.

iTunes 11

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:33 PM

1 reply

May 15, 2013 6:06 AM in response to ToutleMonde

The only thing I know you can do currently is 'overflow' to the next drive. So you would load music into your library, but then add an external drive to capture subsequent additions. However, the drawback is that ALL new additions to the library would go to the second location i.e. all music and video. This isn't exactly what you want ( or I want ) but I think currently that's the limit of 'splitting' the library between locations.

Your way would be great.

Split Location of iTunes Media Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.