Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to replace my battery?

Hi, I own a Mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro. Recently, the battery has gone strange, and Mountain Lion keeps throwing "Service Battery" into the menu bar, and I really don't think it's time to replace it yet, as it's only 2.5 years old. I installed iStat Pro to confirm, and it's telling me that my battery health is 72%, but I've only been through 456 cycles. That seems abnormal to me, along with the fact that the battery won't last for more than 3 hours when it's fully charged.

I know for a fact that I haven't been treating the battery very well; I leave it on the MagSafe for extended periods sometimes and I have never really gone through a full-cycle charge or a calibration even once. The problem is, I don't have AppleCare and batteries are not covered under warranty, and I know that replacement batteries cost quite a lot. Is it really time for me to replace?

Thanks!

defan752

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 14, 2013 11:16 PM

2 replies

May 14, 2013 11:18 PM in response to defan752

Unibody Macs batteries are designed to have 80% of their capacity after 1000 cycles. From what you say, it looks like you haven't treated your battery correctly, and OS X is probably giving that message because the battery capacity is under 80%.

If you think that the battery life you have now is enough, keep it and replace it when you consider it, because your computer isn't in warranty. If not, take the computer to an Apple Store or reseller to have your battery replaced

Jun 13, 2013 4:15 PM in response to mende1

My Mac is amid-2009 41 months old, got 806 battery loadcycles and is at 72%. I guess from your answer I don't really need to change it until I find it not enough even if there is the "check battery" status with the yellow triangle and exclamation point.

My question: Is there a chance at some point the battery just dies and my mac won't start anymore?

Do I need to replace my battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.