Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert FLAC 24bit 96hHz to AIFF 24 96kHz on a mac ?

I'd like to convert FLAC files to AIFF files so i can import them to my iTunes Libraby without any quality loss.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 15, 2013 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2013 7:37 AM

I use an application called Max.

When you set it up use a format pre-set for either AIFF or WAV 24-bit. I'm sure there are others out there as well.

12 replies

Aug 13, 2013 10:28 AM in response to macOS11

Max is fine if you want to convert FLAC to AIFF (or even better: Apple Lossless) for playing on iTunes on your Mac (or PC). It's also fine if you want to play them on your iOS device and the sampling rate is 48k or less.

If you have 24-bit files with a sample rate above 48k, and want to convert them to files that will play on your iOS device at the best quality, you'll need XLD. This will allow you to retain the 24-bit depth while downsampling to 48k for use on newer iPhones (depending on your iOS device, you may have to decrease the bit depth as well.)

Maybe one of these days Apple will support full 192k sampling rates on all devices, and sell us 24-bit/192k files on iTunes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aug 13, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Sarasota Joe

Maybe one of these days Apple will support full 192k sampling rates on all devices, and sell us 24-bit/192k files on iTunes, but I'm not holding my breath.

You can buy 192/24 and other hi-def formats in downloadable form at HDTracks.com.

They are also available at iTrax.com.

As you are aware, there is no sign that the iTunes Store plans to enter the hi-def audio (or even CD quality lossless) market, but who knows.

Aug 18, 2013 7:20 PM in response to ed2345

Thank you ed2345 for HDTracks.com. iTrax.com. They are both excellent!

I have downloaded hi-def formats at Linn Records; the quality is outstanding, but their selection is limited. I'm also a member of B&W's Society of Sound; A Peter Gabriel curated Music club that get's me one London Symphony Orchestra download and one "Whatever Peter thinks is ineteresting this month" download. For $60 a year I get 24 plus hi-def albums, most of which I like a lot. But the selection at HDTracks and iTrax is excellent - Thank You!

Aug 19, 2013 4:07 AM in response to Sarasota Joe

Sarasota Joe wrote:

Thank you ed2345 for HDTracks.com. iTrax.com. They are both excellent!

I have downloaded hi-def formats at Linn Records; the quality is outstanding, but their selection is limited. I'm also a member of B&W's Society of Sound; A Peter Gabriel curated Music club that get's me one London Symphony Orchestra download and one "Whatever Peter thinks is ineteresting this month" download. For $60 a year I get 24 plus hi-def albums, most of which I like a lot. But the selection at HDTracks and iTrax is excellent - Thank You!

Sarasota Joe,

You are welcome. Enjoy the music!

Ed

How to convert FLAC 24bit 96hHz to AIFF 24 96kHz on a mac ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.