Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preserving AC3 passthru when exporting

Hello all,

I have a movie file, extension .m4v that I made from HandBrake on the AppleTV 2 setting, and the only audio info included in this file is the AC3 passthrough track (which is 5.1 surround). I wanted to set a poster frame for the movie, and I did, but then it asked me to save the movie file. So I did, but the new movie was only in 2-channel stereo. So now I'm thinking I should set the poster frame, but instead of saving, I should export it.

My question: is there a way to export this file and maintain the AC3 passthrough track without having to convert it? Or, a more to-the-point question, is there a way to add a poster frame to a movie file without having to convert the AC3 track into something else?

Thanks for all your help!

Ben

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 15, 2013 12:09 PM

2 replies

May 15, 2013 5:50 PM in response to Sugar Daddy

I wanted to set a poster frame for the movie, and I did, but then it asked me to save the movie file.

How did you set the poster frame? How did you "save" the movie? For what use? For example, using QT 7 Pro to set the poster frame (as a referenced movie frame) and then using the "Save As..." option should save all source file tracks in their original compression format to a new MOV file container along with the the correct movie frame referenced as the "poster" image. On the other hand, iTunes can also set a frame of a movie as a "poster" image but stores it differently. Both methods create a "poster" image that can be used by apps programmed to use them. However, an "poster" image created by the latest version of ITunes would not be recognized by the QT 7 Player.

My question: is there a way to export this file and maintain the AC3 passthrough track without having to convert it? Or, a more to-the-point question, is there a way to add a poster frame to a movie file without having to convert the AC3 track into something else?

No. You could, I suppose, remux the source AC3 audio track with an exported video track but the act of exporting the video will, by its very nature, remove your "poster" image/frame reference.

User uploaded file

Preserving AC3 passthru when exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.