Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same sound level on a mix in GarageBand

I am mixing about 100 tracks from a playlist in GarageBand.

The tracks are from various sources, then transferred into iTunes.

As they are from various sources, the volume level differs quite significantly between each track.

When I've mixed the playlist, I want it to play back at the same volume level.

Does GarageBand have a way of ensuring the same volume level across the whole playlist once mixed?

Thank you.

Posted on May 15, 2013 11:25 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2013 12:17 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

Do you want the tracks to have the ame volume or the same loudness? These are two completely different things

Volume.

You achieve maximum volume by "Normalizing" the song during export. This ensures that the peak level of each song reaches (the same) 0dBFS. You can set that in the GarageBand System Preferences

User uploaded file

Loudness

This is the "percieved" volume/loudness of a song. Two songs could have the same peak level but one may sound much louder than the other. This is part of the art of mixing and mastering, to know how to use compressors, limiters and equalizers on single tracks and on the master track.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 15, 2013 1:02 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Normalizing doesn't help a lot in the case of a "mixtape" since it increases or decreases the level of all the tracks in the same way.

I see two ways to achieve what you want, assuming you put each song on a different track:

1. Adjust the individual track volumes, trusting your ears.

2. Leave the iTunes step out altogether (what is it good for anyway?), collect all the audio files in one place, open them one by one in an audio editor, and normalize them to 0 dB. That way you assure at least that they all have the same peak level (not necessarily the same perceived loudness, see Edgar's post.) Then grab all the audio files at once and drop them into GB's timeline - they will all end up on separate tracks.

Same sound level on a mix in GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.