Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My admin account gets Simple Finder

I have a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I don't know what started this, but somehow my only administrator account gets Simple Finder setting.(?) I can do 'Run Full Finder' to get Full Finder for the current login session, but Simple Finder would still come back for the next login. Does anyone know a way to permanently get Full Finder back? Thanks very much in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 15, 2013 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2013 2:54 PM

In Finder, hold the Option key down and click on Go in the menu bar. Select Library, and open the Preferences folder. Trash the file called com.apple.finder.plist

Restart.

13 replies

May 16, 2013 3:17 AM in response to LBanks_Philly

Try this:

First trash the .plist, make a few changes in the Finder - any changes, next select full Finder. Then reset the PRAM immediately:

• Shut down your Mac.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

May 16, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Sorry, I did everything per your last instruction but the problem persists.

I remember something now that may shed some light. This computer was managed with Mac Server's Workgroup Manager at my company for some time in the past. The network administrator there may have set Simple Finder for the computer group of which this computer was a member. That may have set some flag on some system file somewhere in this computer.(?)

Thanks in advance for any more help.

May 16, 2013 6:02 PM in response to LBanks_Philly

You could try repairing the drive.

Boot the computer and immediately hold the command and r keys down - both keys - till you see the Apple logo.

On the first screen, select Disk Utility. Now select your hard drive on the left, the First Aid tab, and click on Repair Drive. After that run Repair Permissions.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/03/how-to-boot-into-os-x-lions-recovery-hd-partition /

Aug 11, 2013 1:09 PM in response to LBanks_Philly

Here's what works.

I went in and deleted all 3 com.apple.finder.plist files, but that was probably un-productive.

This worked, and thanks and hat's off to the webmaster of the usingmac.com website.

Use the Terminal.

To revert back to original setting, i.e. Full Finder Mode, this command line should be used:

defaults delete com.apple.finder InterfaceLevel

killall Finder

http://www.usingmac.com/2009/1/29/downgrade-finder-interface-level

This message thread started May 20. An Apple Computer employee should have immediately logged in with an update/upgrade fix. But that didn't happen, so the problem festered and became an annoyance. Annoyances are for PC users, NOT Mac users.

Recommendation: Apple Enginners/programmers, modify the source code of the next system to preclude this kind of finder misbehavior.

My admin account gets Simple Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.