Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to transfer files from pc to macbook pro however taking over 12 hrs. Can I cancel this....never dreamed it would take this long?

Attempting to transfer files from pc to macbook pro however taking over 12 hrs. Can I cancel this after it has started (2 hers)....never dreamed it would take this long.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2013 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2013 8:04 PM

Using Migration Assistant?

You can cancel it, but partially migrated accounts are likely to be corrupt. The most prudent course of action is to delete the account and start over using a wired connection. Wireless transfers can take an unacceptable amount of time.

3 replies

May 15, 2013 9:03 PM in response to AbbiGai1

... Can I later restart my mac and continue the transfer?

Probably not. Apple recommends you set both computers to "not sleep". On the Mac, use System Preferences > Energy Saver, and slide the sleep setting all the way to the right.

If you are using a wired connection, it is likely to progress rapidly enough so that sleep will not be a concern. The fastest transfer will be accomplished if you connect both computers directly to one another with an Ethernet cable, as long as your MacBook Pro has an Ethernet port - if it is one of the new Retina Display models, you would need a $29 adapter for its Thunderbolt port.

Enjoy your Mac!

Attempting to transfer files from pc to macbook pro however taking over 12 hrs. Can I cancel this....never dreamed it would take this long?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.