Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a Macbook pro early 2011 installation disc work on a 2007 or 2008 Macbook pro 15

My collegue's 2007 or 2008 Macbook pro 15 inch keeps getting stuck on the apple load up screen everytime he hits the power button. He doesnt know what version it is and I forgot to write down the model number of it(Ill update May 16 at 10am PST). I tried safe mode, it worked but after the loading bar gets close to 1/2 it freezes up. He can not find his installation disc that came with the computer. I have mine but its for Model # A1278 I think its snow leopard. Will the installation disc and application disc run successfully on my collegue's 2007 or 2008 Macbook pro?

I apologize if there's a similar thread out there, I couldnt find one. -

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2013 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2013 11:41 PM

Not likely due to hardware specifics. It's also illegal to install it on more than one CPU.

4 replies

May 16, 2013 9:59 AM in response to jbaltazar93

That would be an early 2008 model. The installation disks from an early 2011 model probably will refuse to install, and as Kappy said your installation disk isn't licensed for use on another computer. Your colleague will need to order a new disk set from Apple, if he's lost the originals, or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard from the online Apple Store.

Regards.

May 16, 2013 10:25 AM in response to jbaltazar93

Will a MacBook Pro Early 2011 installation disc work on a 2007 or 2008 MacBook Pro 15?

No it will not.

Machine specific gray/back disks are for one model of Mac only as they only contain hardware drivers for that model, not previous ones.

The 10.6.3 white Snow Leopard retail disk will work and it's available from Apple online for a small charge.

My collegue's 2007 or 2008 Macbook pro 15 inch keeps getting stuck on the apple load up screen everytime he hits the power button.

I tried safe mode, it worked but after the loading bar gets close to 1/2 it freezes up.

This is indicative of a problem with the boot drive and the file structure retaining data on the drive.

The progress bar progressing and stopping means the fsck drive repair is failing, likley the drive incurred head shock damage at that point.

The boot drive itself is likely fine and the problem can be resolved but the disks are going to be required if it's running Snow Leopard.

First get the disks, then attempt Disk Utility > Repair Disk and check the SMART status if the drive is still good.

If there is no backup of data, get that off the machine using a external boot drive.

To fix that problem of a bad sectors, unfortutly the entire drive will need to be Zero Erased (security option > zero all data) using Disk Uility while c or option/alt key booted from the 10.6 disks (using a wired or built in keyboard), it's the only way.

This means all programs, files (remaining) and OS X will be removed in the process. You could replace the drive also.

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Create a data recovery/undelete external boot drive

How to erase and install Snow Leopard 10.6

Install/upgrade RAM or storage drive in Mac's

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents#/?p er_page=50

Will a Macbook pro early 2011 installation disc work on a 2007 or 2008 Macbook pro 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.