Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you clear iPhone history?

When I hit search on my iphone 4gs old texts show up that have been deleted. How do I clear my history so they no longer show up?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 15, 2013 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2013 8:33 AM

Hi snelco,

This article explains how to clear search history in Safari for iOS:

iOS: Safari web settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677

Additional Information

Removing or clearing stored Safari content

• To clear your history from Safari, tap Settings > Safari > Clear History
  • To clear all cookies from Safari, tap Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
  • iOS 5 or later: To clear other stored information from Safari, tap Advanced > Website Data > Remove All Website Data

You might also find this part helpful:

To enable or disable Private Browsing, turnPrivate Browsing on or off.

Private Browsing in iOS 5 protects private information and blocks some websites from tracking your behavior. Safari doesn't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.

Note: While Private Browsing is enabled, the Safari bars appear black or dark instead of blue or gray.

Have a good one!

- Ari

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2013 8:33 AM in response to snelco

Hi snelco,

This article explains how to clear search history in Safari for iOS:

iOS: Safari web settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677

Additional Information

Removing or clearing stored Safari content

• To clear your history from Safari, tap Settings > Safari > Clear History
  • To clear all cookies from Safari, tap Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
  • iOS 5 or later: To clear other stored information from Safari, tap Advanced > Website Data > Remove All Website Data

You might also find this part helpful:

To enable or disable Private Browsing, turnPrivate Browsing on or off.

Private Browsing in iOS 5 protects private information and blocks some websites from tracking your behavior. Safari doesn't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.

Note: While Private Browsing is enabled, the Safari bars appear black or dark instead of blue or gray.

Have a good one!

- Ari

Mar 27, 2014 2:55 AM in response to snelco

To completely erase deleted data on iPhone, here are the steps:

1. Get your iPhone connected with your computer using the USB cable came with the iPhone;
2. When the iPhone appears on the SafeEraser, select “ERASE DELETED FILES”;
3. Choose one of the 3 Security Levels, it’s recommended to use the “High (3 times)” level. The higher level takes more time, but more secure.
4. Input the required “delete” to confirm, and all the deleted data on your iPhone will be completely erased.

Source: How to Erase iPhone – Erase Everything on iPhone Securely and Completely

Sep 1, 2014 3:45 AM in response to snelco

As my past experience, even you used the method @ariel suggested, the browser history is still here. Just as you mentioned on the thread. To complete remove browser history and cache, you'd better goes with data erasing app designed for such purpose. Check this step by step tutorial on how to permanently delete browser history on iPhone. It works for all browsers on your device not only limited to Safari. I have been using it for data erasing in last couple of years.

How do you clear iPhone history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.