Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using m4v video format into HTML Widget

Hi everybody,

I'm doing some tests with iBook Author 2 and HTML Widget. I created some code to include a video in m4v format which is the only format supported in an iBook.

If I use the media widget and include my m4v video into the flow of content of the iBook, the video can be included and played on the iPad.

If I use the same video but put it in an HTML Widget thanks to a <video> tag into the HTML code, iBook Author refuses me to include the HTML widget because it contains a .m4v file in the source files and tells that it is not supported (!!!). Even if I remove the HTML video tag but keep the video file in my source file structure, I still have this error.

This is the HTML code put into the HTML Widget with the video tag below. The file is relative to the HTML source.

<video width="200px" controls="true">
    <source src="videos/Section1_Course_Introduction - iPhone.m4v"/>
</video>

The same HTML code put into the HTML Widget but with an external link of the same video file on an external server. No complain of iBooks Author, video can be played.

<video width="200px" controls="true">
    <source src="http://www.mydomain.com/videos/Section1_Course_Introduction - iPhone.m4v"/>
</video>

I have a workaround for this problem but it means I have to keep the video on a server side and not into the iBook, it is not an expected need. I tried too to change to MP4 extension in the filename or use a MP4 file but the video cannot be started in the iBook HTML widget.

From my point of view there is a bug in iBook Author which block me to include a HTML widget with m4v files although it can be played.

Is there any Apple Developer here who could check?

iBook Author-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 16, 2013 2:36 AM

4 replies

May 21, 2013 7:17 PM in response to diglin

One other idea that sometimes works…

Find the original video file in Finder, select it, then

Finder > Services > Encode Selected Video Files

I haven't experimented with all of the settings to know which is "best", but try something appropriate to your content. When it's done, re-import the new video file into your widget.

Using m4v video format into HTML Widget

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.