Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore mail messages from TimeMachine not working

Hello,

I deleted a mailbox in Mail and want to restore it using TimeMachine.

When I select the mailbox in TimeMachine and click to restore I see a message in Mail that my mail will be restored.

After a few seconds the message goes away and nothing happens.

Any idea what to do?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3), AppleTV, iPhone 4S, iPad, MacBook

Posted on May 16, 2013 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2013 8:43 AM

yeah ignore the time machine interface for a sec.

do it through the finder.

• quit Mail
  • Open the time machine backup folder in the finder navigate to the user folder on the backup Volume find the mailbox and drag it to the same location on your Mac.

Folder location: ~/Library/Mail folder (in the finder you can use the keyboard shortcut Cmd+Shft+G and just copy and paste the location I just stated.

Then reopen Mail and you should see it there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Lt.Tuvok

yeah ignore the time machine interface for a sec.

do it through the finder.

• quit Mail
  • Open the time machine backup folder in the finder navigate to the user folder on the backup Volume find the mailbox and drag it to the same location on your Mac.

Folder location: ~/Library/Mail folder (in the finder you can use the keyboard shortcut Cmd+Shft+G and just copy and paste the location I just stated.

Then reopen Mail and you should see it there.

May 16, 2013 5:59 PM in response to Lt.Tuvok

Lt.Tuvok wrote:

Hello,

I deleted a mailbox in Mail and want to restore it using TimeMachine.

When I select the mailbox in TimeMachine and click to restore I see a message in Mail that my mail will be restored.

After a few seconds the message goes away and nothing happens.

That doesn't restore to the original mailbox, so as not to disturb the current contents.

It should create a new folder in the On My Mac section, containing a Recovered Messages mailbox, which you might not notice if you're not expecting it. You should be able to browse, move, or delete messages from there. See the blue box in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #15 for details.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Restore mail messages from TimeMachine not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.