Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro Fans

I have an early 2013 15" Retina MBP.

It's actually the second one I've had, the first had ghosting issues, which eventually led to the machine being replaced.

When I'm using Skype and sharing my screen, the fans go crazy. Earlier they got up to 6,000RPM. I don't know whether this is normal or not, but I don't remember the old one or my Macbook Air doing the same.

The fans also go slightly crazy when watching videos on Youtube etc.

I've attached a screenshot of the stats, although it was taken a minute or so after I'd finished with my client and the fans had slowed a little.

Based on the temprature of my machine, is the fan speed normal?

Is this kind of activity normal?

The end of the power adapter that plugs in to my Macbook also gets baking hot. As though it's been under a flame!

Thanks

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 16, 2013 11:03 AM

4 replies

May 16, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Realmaverick

When I first got my RMBP (when they first came out) I had similar issues. They eventually released an update for the firmware that helped immensely. Any video would jump my temps up to about 220 degrees farenheit, and it would sit there. Fans would take a long time to spin up on mine though even with those insane temps. I used a third party program to control the fans so that I could spin them up BEFORE I fired up a video.

After the update, I rarely peak over 190 f watching video. Fans are much more stable and operate more as you'd expect. I assume you've already ran through the updates to make sure you caught any of the hardware updates?

Retina Macbook Pro Fans

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.