Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview keeps crashing and there's no preference plist file for Preview in Library. What should I do?

Everytime I tried to open Preview, it displayed a dialogue saying: "Mac OS X needs to repair your Library to run applications. Type your password to allow this." However, as I typed my password and clicked Repair button, Preview keeps crashing. I tried to look for its plist file in the Library but I did not see any. Please help me.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 16, 2013 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2013 11:41 AM

The Home Library is hidden. To get there go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library". Then go to your Preferences folder and the com.apple.Preview.plist will be there.

If deleting it doesn't help try starting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

Also see...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4891485

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2013 11:41 AM in response to quangtrank9

The Home Library is hidden. To get there go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library". Then go to your Preferences folder and the com.apple.Preview.plist will be there.

If deleting it doesn't help try starting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

Also see...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4891485

May 16, 2013 5:43 PM in response to quangtrank9

Back up all data. Don't continue unless you're sure you can restore from a backup, even if you're unable to log in.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user account, and the one in question is not an administrator account, then temporarily promote it to administrator status in the Users & Groups preference pane. To do that, unlock the preference pane using the credentials of an administrator, check the box marked Allow user to administer this computer, then reboot. You can demote the problem account back to standard status when this step has been completed.

Triple-click the following line to select it. Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

{ sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ ; } 2> /dev/null

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1 or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Boot into Recovery. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open.

In the Terminal window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

May 18, 2013 3:53 PM in response to quangtrank9

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the help. I tried to mess around with the Library and delete some of the files related to Preview. Finally it worked. This is what I deleted:

Caches/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

I believed this came from some answer that Linc Davis has posted before. I give my credits to Linc Davis. Thank you 🙂

Preview keeps crashing and there's no preference plist file for Preview in Library. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.