Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group Multiple CDs of album together in 11.0.3

Does anyone know what the new iTunes feature of grouping multiple CDs of the same album together means? Is it fixing the problem where sometimes they don't? Does it allow CDs with the names [disc 1] and [disc 2] after them to be grouped together? I have been taking Albums of mutiple CDs and using the "disc" fields and that seems to work.

I really dislike Apple's SCANT help on new features. I had to go dig through the (VASTLY) revamped view options to figure out where the ability to show album art in list view was hidden, and the help files have not been updated with the new mini view. A little more help would be nice Apple...

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 14 GB RAM, 6 TB HD

Posted on May 16, 2013 12:08 PM

6 replies

May 16, 2013 1:16 PM in response to Eytan Bernet1

Thank you for the picture Michael! I now know what is going on....

NOTHING changed in terms of what it takes to group them together, as in, you still need them to be the same album titile, and you need to use the disc # and total disc count fields — the change is that now, instead of showing tracks 1-10 and then starting over with tracks 1-12 (for example) for disk 2, and having them all be one after another, it breaks it into each disc with a disc # and does it horizontally rather than vertically. What I mean by that is the following:

Before, if you had 3 discs, that totaled 32 tracks. Disc one with 9, disc two with 11, and disc 3 with 12. What you'd have is two columns of 16 songs each, 1st column starting with 1-9, then 1-7. The right column would start with 8, go through 11, and then go 1-12. NOW what you get is 3 groupings, titled disc 1, 2 and 3, 1st one going 1-5 in column 1 and 6-9 in column 2. Second disc going 1-6 in column 1 and 7-11 in column 2, and the last one having two equal sized columns of 1-6 and 7-12.

Also, Not sure I agree on defaulting to on, but unlike all the other checboxe in view options, this one is not also available by right clicking the column headers.

Thanks for the help guys!

Message was edited by: Eytan Bernet1. All edits were spelling mistakes.

May 16, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Michael Duffy1

Michael - you do not want to use compilations for anything other than albums of multiple artists, otherwise they show up under compilations section. Use the disc # and total # of disc fields for double albums.

I use the disc # and total disc count fields for live shows I record, to indicate set number. I'd love to see the option to specify for live shows that it is a set rather than a disc #.

Message was edited by: Eytan Bernet1 for spelling mistakes

Group Multiple CDs of album together in 11.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.