Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoto Crashes and Deletes all my photos!! What is Going on??

I have been using iPhoto for as long as it has been in existence (5-7 years), recently I have been losing hundreds of photos after iPhoto "unexpectedly Crashes"

Today, it happened again and I lost over 1000 very, very good family photos AGAIN!

What the F is going on??

I cannot express how disapponited I am that this now now happening.

Is there anyway to retrieve the 1000 photos that I imported and edited prior to iPhoto before crashing.

Please, Please Help

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 16, 2013 6:50 PM

8 replies

May 16, 2013 10:50 PM in response to Fred Davenport

Fred

You're not giving us any information that would help us explain why it's crashing.

Remember: we cannot see your machine. There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 8 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Basic things like :

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For instance: 'iPhoto won't export' is best explained by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted?

- Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

May 17, 2013 2:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thx TD,

I have the most recent version of iPhoto (9.4.3) on my MBP Retina (10.8.3).

This has happened 5-6 times recently when iPhoto suddenly crashes, after importing and editing photos. Yesterday, I imported over 1000 photos and while almost done editing them (cropping). iPhoto crashed and after re-opening iPhoto, all the photo are gone.

What is interesting is when opening Aperture It says there are 1000 photos in the events/projects, but they are nit there. I have a hunch they are somewhere on my Mac or in the iPhoto library, but not sure how to get them back.

Thx for any hlp you can provide.

May 17, 2013 5:41 AM in response to Fred Davenport

What is interesting is when opening Aperture It says there are 1000 photos in the events/projects, but they are nit there.

Aperture will not show any photos that have the "hidden" flag set in iPhoto. Have tried to enable the display of hidden Photos in iPhoto? (In the "View" menu - check "Hidden Photos"). Maybe you need to unhide your photos.

IPhoto Crashes and Deletes all my photos!! What is Going on??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.