Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cellular usage

Each month I reset my cellular usage on my iPhone 5 to coincide with my ATT account cutoff date. I have noticed, month after month, that there is no similarity between the cellular usage reported on the iPhone and the usage reported by ATT. This month my iPhone usage was about half that shown by ATT. Fortunately, I have not yet overrun my plan allowance (200MB).

Recognizing that I may miss the exact cutoff hour, this would not account for the huge disparities. What is going on? Is the iPhone counting the same thing as ATT? Does the phone count Siri time? How about Maps directions?

George

iPhone 5, Windows 7

Posted on May 17, 2013 5:25 AM

8 replies

May 17, 2013 5:45 AM in response to G3gator

The categories under Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage are lumped categories when compared with the breakdown from the cellular service provider. The Call Time should match with the total of the call time categories on the bill, that is, those times within an allotment, unlimited time block, promotional time block, etc. The Cellular Network Data includes those uses such as messages, internet use via cellular service (as opposed to by WiFi which is not counted) which includes email and Safari use, but may not include maps and location services depending on how the information is being exchanged. Notice that this usage category is broken down into received and sent so both are accounted for where the carrier may lump them together...breaking the two out becomes difficult if you have a carrier that does not charge or account for received...you need to figure out where those receptions might affect your data comparison with the carriers billing.

Siri should not affect this unless you are using Siri to use the cellular network to gather information, then that usage is part of the cellular data category.

Bottom-line, it is not a really simple matter to compare the gross usage info on the iPhone with the breakdown of the cell service provider...you need to spend a couple billing cycles very carefully playing with the numbers to figure out where the two add up and match up.

Jun 8, 2013 4:15 PM in response to G3gator

I am still having this problem with ATT calculating more cellular usage than my iPhone usage shows in Settings. This disparity has increased in the last couple of months. I have been using the turn-by-turn feature of maps more recently. Could this be consuming cellular usage but not counted by the iPhone in Settings?

Jun 8, 2013 5:01 PM in response to G3gator

Could maps be part of the difference...yes. There may be other places the iPhone usage algorithm and that of AT&T differ in the accounting. One way to be sure is shut Cellular Use OFF except during timed download or email periods. Time that usage period. Then compare what your recorded cellular usage and AT&T's and the iPhone's show. You are more than likely going to see three different numbers. Each may be accounting for other functions that you are not.

cellular usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.