Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro starting up with a blinking folder. Help!

The computer can't seem to find any disk to repair or to reinstall to. I held down the option key as it started up and it brought me to the Mac OS X Utilities Pane. When I try to repair or erase the disk using disk utility it can't find the disk. Every one of the options is greyed out. Similar story when I tried to reinstall OS X by clicking the option on the Utility pane called reinstall Mac OS X. It takes me through the steps but then can't find the disk to install to... I am at a loss. The computer seems to be running okay however (no odd sounds or heat). It also has no problems connnecting to the internet. Is there anything I can do myself short of brining it into the Apple Store? Any help would be really appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 17, 2013 11:21 AM

11 replies

May 17, 2013 11:28 AM in response to DZF17

It is difficult to understand how it is running ok and connecting to the internet if it will not boot...when you restart holding the Option key, you should get a grey screen with the Macintosh HD, and Recovery HD images. If you select the Recovery HD you will then boot to the recovery partition from which you can select Disk Utilities from the utiliites that opens up. Use that DU to check the startup hard drive. Repair the drive and if necessary reinstall Mountain Lion.

If that startup procedure does not work, restart holding Command-Option-R so you boot from the Apple server, you must have an internet connection to do that. Then use their DU, etc.

May 17, 2013 11:35 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks for your quick response. I tried the first two options (Disk Utilies and Reinstall Lion). In both cases it doesn't seem to be able to find a disk. For instance when I try to repair the disk using the disk utility I've been told that I should see 'Macintosh HD' on the side but it's not there. The only thing that's there is called Base System. None of the repair/erase buttons work for Base System (they are greyed out). About me being able to connect to the internet, I'm actually typing this on the problem computer right now. One of the options in the Utilities Pane is to connect to the internet and find support. I clicked on that and it's working fine. That's how it's connecting. I will try the other option ( Command-Option-R) that you reccomended. Thank you for all your help!

May 17, 2013 1:30 PM in response to DZF17

Really sounds like the hard drive has failed. Or the cable going to the hard drive from the main board has failed.

When you held down the option key did you get any screen to select a boot device or did it take you directly to the recovery system? If it took you directly to the recovery system did you see a globe on the screen before you got the recovery system screen? If you did then you are booting the system from across the internet from the apple servers.

In that case either the drive or the cable has failed. Hopefully it is the cable and all your data is still on the drive. If it is the drive then since you have no backups all your data is gone.

May 17, 2013 1:56 PM in response to LowLuster

When I held down the option key I got first a screen asking me to choose a network then do an Internet Recovery. I clicked on Internet Recovery. After about 5 minutes it took me to the Utilities menu. That's all I've managed to do. When I held down Command-Option-R it went directly to Internet Recovery without asking me to choose a network or click on anything. The two commands bring me to the same place in the end. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I have prided myself in taking very good care of my computer. Is this a (relatively) common issue that will be covered by Apple?

May 17, 2013 1:59 PM in response to DZF17

DZF17 wrote:

When I held down the option key I got first a screen asking me to choose a network then do an Internet Recovery. I clicked on Internet Recovery. After about 5 minutes it took me to the Utilities menu. That's all I've managed to do. When I held down Command-Option-R it went directly to Internet Recovery without asking me to choose a network or click on anything. The two commands bring me to the same place in the end. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I have prided myself in taking very good care of my computer. Is this a (relatively) common issue that will be covered by Apple?

Are you still under warranty and/or have AppleCare?

User uploaded file

May 17, 2013 3:40 PM in response to DZF17

Hard drive fail, it just happens, they always do. Some sooner then other. You can replace the drive yourself. It is very easy to do.

For a test take the drive out of the system and connect it to a USB port using a sata enclosure or adapter. If the system can boot from the drive removed from the system and connected to a usb port then the drive is good and the cable has failed. If the system does not start with the drive connected to a usb port then the drive has failed. you can buy a notebook hard drive in just about any local or online computer store.

At least you know the system still works because if it was something else other than the drive or cable you would not get the internet recovery system.

DZF17 wrote:

No to both questions. I bought the computer in November of 2011 I believe. Any idea what caused this? And will Apple fix it for a fee/is it even fixable?

May 19, 2013 5:30 PM in response to DZF17

My son's 2011 13" MacBook Pro died suddenly. He could get another MacBook to see his drive when connected in firewire target disk mode, but on his machine starting from an Apple software install disk failed to recognize his drive. Two trips to the Apple store (he has Applecare) resulted in a replaced SATA cable (they have a checkered history). Long story short: his drive booted immediately after the cable replacement.

If that's all you need, the part is about $50, I believe.

My Macbook Pro starting up with a blinking folder. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.