THanks for the tip, Kudu. Earlier I had contacted Apple Support, and the fix they offerred crshed after a couple of hours. I've done the 11.0.4 upgrade, and will keep my fingers crossed. It's been a real pain. Until the 11.0.3 upgrade I never had any problems with iTunes (I'm running OS 10.6.8)
Yeah I came this thread because I AM using 11.0.4 and I'm getting all kinds of crashing and app lock-up. I'm importing a bunch of old CDs and iTunes crashes/locks up every 4 or 5 discs. I just zapped PRAM like five times on restart followed by five permission repairs in succession. So clearly THAT didn't work.
I also got this problem in windows 8 64bit, but I found the solution.
Follow these step:
1. From your desktop, right-click "My Computer" and click "Properties" (If you don't have the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, use the following steps, 0.1 - 0.5)
0.1 - Click the Start Menu button (Or use the Windows button on your keyboard)
0.2 - Locate "Computer" (should be in the right panel near the middle)
0.3 - Right-click on "Computer"
0.4 - Click "Properties" from the option pane
0.5 - This should have opened the "System" window (in the control panel also), continue to step 2
2. In the "System" window, click on "Advanced system settings", this brings up the "System Properties" window
3. In the "System Properties" window, click on the "Advanced" tab
4. In the "Advanced tab", click the "Environment Variables" button
5. In the "Environment Variables window", find and highlight the "Path" variable in the "Systems Variables" section
6. Click the "Edit" button to bring up the "Edit System Variable" window.
7. Finally, place your mouse cursor at the very end of the "Variable Value", and modify the variable value by adding the following (EXACTLY) to the end:
;C:\program files (x86)\common files\apple\apple application support\