Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You can't open the application iTunes because it is not supported on this type of Mac"

Yesterday, Software Updater has installed something which required me to "close iTunes in order to complete the installation" - I can only assume it was an iTunes (or related) update?

Now when I try to open iTunes, a window appears, stating: "you can't open the application iTunes because it is not supported on this type of Mac".

I have a Macbook (late 08) and am running 10.6.8

I'm conscientious about keeping my software & apps up to date, so it should only be something very recent & I assume fairly minor...

Any ideas??

iPad

Posted on May 17, 2013 1:10 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2013 3:33 PM in response to squeegypop

To anyone else who may have experienced this problem (I doubt that I'd be the only one):

Over the past couple of days I have left my Macbook sitting idle for extended periods, put it to sleep, & also shut it down.

This morning I tried to reinstall the same download that didn't work a couple of days ago & it has been recognised, installed & seems to run just fine - playing right now I'm happy to say!

I suggest you try doing the same: ie. leave your machine sitting idle till it sleeps & shut it down, before you try the reinstall.

"You can't open the application iTunes because it is not supported on this type of Mac"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.