Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange vibrating when power adapter connecter

Hi there.

My problem is, that if I connect the power adapter, or the ethernet cable via thunderbolt port, the unibody case is vibrating when I touch it. It's like it's getting static, or I don't know how to describe it.

This only occures if any of the cables is connected. Like the whole case is being charged and energized.

another problem is that none of the buttons controling the keyboard backlight are not always responding when I press it..

any ideas?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on May 17, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2013 12:28 AM

Hi Jimmy,

I experience the same when travelling in Africa, this happends to me when the electric wireing in the wall socket is done wrong, you have a current on the neutral lead. You normally have three pegs, one active (230v) a neutral and a ground lead (earth). Only the active should be "live" - you can check the problem with a voltage tester and check between the neutral and ground leads - if there is a current there - could be 20-40 volt - then you know your problem.

Hope it helps. Lars

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2013 12:28 AM in response to JimmyK93

Hi Jimmy,

I experience the same when travelling in Africa, this happends to me when the electric wireing in the wall socket is done wrong, you have a current on the neutral lead. You normally have three pegs, one active (230v) a neutral and a ground lead (earth). Only the active should be "live" - you can check the problem with a voltage tester and check between the neutral and ground leads - if there is a current there - could be 20-40 volt - then you know your problem.

Hope it helps. Lars

May 29, 2013 6:02 PM in response to JimmyK93

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same thing. I just bought my macbook air on Jan 2013. There's no strange vibration for the first month. It occurred after the second month I used it. Is it really because of the electric wiring done wrong? Because I've tried different places to charge my macbook, but the vibration is stll there and it's really annoying. Help me please...

Mar 13, 2014 5:37 PM in response to JimmyK93

This happens with all apple products that have a metal shell mac books etc. like some of the energy transfers into static around casing only when charging nothing to worry about. It is a weird but I think nice feeling it is nothing to worry about it does not damage equipment and the current is so small that it gives of a tiny vibration it tends to happen when it is plugged into a secondary power source e.g multiplug

strange vibrating when power adapter connecter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.