Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install bootcamp on external drive

I don't have space on my MBP's internal flash drive to install a bootcamp partition with Windows + apps. I have searched the support group some, and have learned that the bootcamp partition has to be on the internal drive.

I know that I can install a second copy of the MacOS on a USB3 external drive. So now the question is, how about booting my MBP from the external drive and then creating a Bootcamp partition on the external drive and installing Windows there? This would allow me to have an external flash drive with both the MacOS and Windows installed. I would think that then Windows would run from the external drive, as the external drive would then be the boot drive. Does anyone know if this technique would work?

MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 17, 2013 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2013 9:39 PM

It won't work. The Windows installer will detect the USB drive as an external drive, not as an internal drive, so you won't be able to install Windows there.

Note that it has nothing to do with the fact that OS X is installed in the USB drive: OS X can be installed on an external drive, but when you start from the Windows installer, it will detect the flash storage of your MacBook Pro and the USB drive, and it won't let you install Windows on an external drive

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2013 9:39 PM in response to KQS MD

It won't work. The Windows installer will detect the USB drive as an external drive, not as an internal drive, so you won't be able to install Windows there.

Note that it has nothing to do with the fact that OS X is installed in the USB drive: OS X can be installed on an external drive, but when you start from the Windows installer, it will detect the flash storage of your MacBook Pro and the USB drive, and it won't let you install Windows on an external drive

May 18, 2013 6:46 AM in response to mende1

Thank you mende1, you saved me a lot of hassel and money. Perhaps I missed it, but in reading many other posts on this topic, but I did not see that the problem was with the Windows installer not wanting to proceed with an external drive. I assume the Windows installer would work if I put a second drive into a MacMini (or older MBP with the CD drive switched with a second internal HD) and installed a second copy of the OSX on the second drive which was dedicated to Bootcamp. As with the external USB drive, I could then use the option key at startup to choose which OSX drive to use, the main drive with my MAC environment or the secondardy drive with Bootcamp. The Windows installer should like this setup, no?

install bootcamp on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.