Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse freezing and jumping - including solution

Since I installed Mountain Lion I have had the problem, that my mouse suddenly freezes for a second and then jumps some inches in a directions. It happens constantly and is very annoying. After searching the internet there was no solution. But I found the problem, and therefor I post it here, since others might have it and Apple might fix it in future release.

In addition to the built in screen (iMac 27" inch) I have an external Dell display connected via Display Port. If that external monitor is attached but not turned on this happens. If I disconnect or turn on the display (which I would normally do but not always) the mouse works like it should

So it seems like an attached display that is not turned on makes the Mac mouse pointer freeze regularly and jump. This must be a bug and should be fixed, but at least there is a workaround.

kr

Morten

Posted on May 18, 2013 1:53 AM

10 replies

Apr 12, 2017 2:26 PM in response to Høgge

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) with built-in HDMI port, with an LG Flatron IPS224 display connected.

Same problems with pointer "jumping". It feels almost like it is snapping to a grid. This does not happen all the time, but I cannot pinpoint when it starts.

It happens when the external display is connected and turned on. If I turn it off or disconnect it, the problem seems to vanish. It happens with a USB mouse as well as the built-in track pad.

Once it starts, to get back fluid pointer, going into System Preferences and Displays, and messing around in there (holding option key and Detect Displays, for instance) seems to help. Thanks JovanRS for the tip.

Hope this helps someone.

Sep 24, 2013 5:41 AM in response to Høgge

I also have the same issue, my mouse skips occasionally (like every 5 secs) on my 2012 mac mini with 2 displays connected. One via HDMI the other using the thunderbolt port with a minidisplay to dvi adaptor.

If the 2nd monitor is off i get the jumps. If i turn it on mouse works ok. I swapped around the connections i.e. connect primary monitor on thunderbold and 2nd on hdmi and still same issue. When both are on mouse is ok.

Also tried with just one monitor connected and mouse works ok.

Its a bug and please apple fix it.

I use a microsoft wired mouse whuch i have for many years and has never caused me any trouble on either my win laptop or my previous imac..I tried another wired microsoft mouse and also a wireless logictech mouse. Same problem.

I also tried with mouse connected directly on the mac and on a usb hub which i normally use.

thats on 10.8.5

Oct 27, 2013 4:50 AM in response to Høgge

I just had a chat with Apple support and was advised to bring my computer including the large screen to the next Apple store. I expect that Apple does their testing, evaluation and debugging without the consumers being involved, so I am a bit disappointed. The support person told me that there must be a hardware problem as they do not have a large track of other users having the same problem.

So apparently the problem is not acknowledged as an official bug which needs to be fixed by Apple.

Please, if you want Apple to fix this, talk to the support. Here is a link to the support chat https://getsupport.apple.com/ConfirmationAction.action# . This only works if you have a valid care protection plan. If you don't have one, you probably need to call the service number, which you can find on http://www.apple.com/support/contact/ .

Jan 8, 2014 4:42 AM in response to Høgge

Problem with mouse freezeing/jumping is connected to displayport & external display (dell)

each time after mac goes to sleep mouse pointer starts to lag.

If I go to monitors menu and enable DP 1.2 lag vanishes until next sleep...

this is only solution known to me for now... please take a look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5478231?answerId=24254140022#24254140022

mouse freezing and jumping - including solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.