Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files to iPad from a Macbook Air instead of home iMac

Hi all

My wife unfortunately has an extended stay in hospital and I'm trying to find some way of transferring videos to her iPad to help break the boredom. Her iPad is linked to her iMac at home, backs up over iCloud, and we've a Macbook Air with an account linked to her Apple ID and iTunes is authorised against her Apple ID. As I can normally only get there once a day it's not really practical to take the iPad home as she loses it for a day but I can load up the Macbook at home and bring it in.

She has the GoodReader app and I can transfer by creating a WiFi network from the Macbook. This works, but the files are large and it takes quite a long time - most of the visiting time. There's no WiFi in the hospital, otherwise we could probably find some solution where she syncs overnight or something via WiFi. I'm hoping to find some way to do it over the USB connector which should be much quicker, ideally using built in software or Apps.

Thanks for any pointers.

Andrew

Posted on May 18, 2013 3:27 AM

10 replies

May 19, 2013 5:12 AM in response to GrumpyGator

Thanks for the pointers.

I had a read through but they seem to be based on the iPad already being tied to the specific computer/iTunes account. I can only sync/transfer videos using iTunes with the MacBook Air if I wipe all of the existing iPad content which I'm trying to avoid. I've made some progress by shrinking the video files so that they transfer more quickly over wifi and it's now a more workable solution, but if there are any options out there for using the cable I'd be happy to hear them.

May 19, 2013 5:45 AM in response to Andrew Beattie

You should be able to 'manually manage photos and videos', in itunes in the macbook air.

Before connecting the ipad to the air, open itunes>preferences>devices> and then check the box 'prevent ipods, ipad, and iphones from syncing automatically'

Then connect ipad to the air, open the ipad in itunes

Go to summary, to the bottom the screen and check box 'manually manage photos and videos'

then go to videos, you should be able to 'drag and drop' the videos you want

May 19, 2013 5:53 PM in response to GrumpyGator

>>Not as user friendly as it could be, but the options are there.

I guess we're normally spoiled by it being so easy. Would have been helpful to have a hint/extra line when trying to sync on another iTunes.... Are you sure you want to erase all content, "or would you rather carry out a manual sync". Thanks again, all working well now.

Transfer files to iPad from a Macbook Air instead of home iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.