Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down randomly

My MacBook Pro 15" i7 (Medio 2010) keeps randomly shutting down, with and without the powercable connected. This problem occurred months ago and I still haven't been able to fix it. I'm running Mountain Lion, and yes, I've read all the other topics about this.

Here's what I did:

• SMC reset;
  • SMC update (SMC-versie (systeem): 1.58f17), which is the latest for my MacBook;
  • PRAM reset;
  • Reïnstalled Mountain Lion;
  • Called customer service;
  • Checked 'Automatic graphics switching';
  • Automatic log-out is unchecked.

My battery cycles: 297.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm getting desperate.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 8GB RAM, 2,66 GHz Intel Core i7,

Posted on May 18, 2013 5:22 AM

39 replies

May 18, 2013 5:29 AM in response to Huwae

This definitely should not be happening with the power cord connected. Since an SMC reset didn't fix things - which would have been my #1 suggestion - I would say that you need to have Apple take a look at it. If you have an Apple Store near you, make an appointment at the Genius Bar and take the machine and power cable in for them to check out.

May 18, 2013 5:44 AM in response to mende1

I will update you a.s.a.p. I didn't know about this issue.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but right after the shutdown, it automatically reboots so to me this seems like it's not just the external monitor and built-in display switching off. Except for, of course, when that issue causes the MBP to restart.

May 18, 2013 5:50 AM in response to mende1

You have kernel panics.

That's always possible, but it is more common for a kernel panic to be associated with a screen in multiple languages telling the user to restart... not sudden shutdowns with no warning. It can't hurt to look for kernel panic logs, but there's no reason to think that a kernel panic is the cause of the problem at this point.

MacBook Pro shuts down randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.