Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iPhone... Wrong

Yesterday I was looking for my iPad. Thinking I left it at my place of business, I used the "Find" app to locate.

It shows that my device is now located 1 hour away in a small subdivision.

I quickly get in my car and go to my business, since this is the last place I saw it, and sure enough there it was on the desk.

My question is why it how did this happen? The device is not 3G or 4G enabled.

It was on a wifi network at my business though.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I've always found the "Find" to be very accurate.

It even shows the room I'm in, in my house.

Thanks

Posted on May 18, 2013 4:56 AM

4 replies

May 18, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Bexstar22

The wifi only iPad uses cell towers to determine its location and is not near as accurate as the IPad cellular/GPS.

If you do several tries it may show a more accurate location.

I saw this post on another forum.

Question: How accurate is the "find my iPhone" app? Here's the scenario... My husband often travels out of town for business; he usually finishes work by 5 o'clock. Last night, he called late, saying he was called back in to work -- which was not unusual, as it does happen some times. For whatever reason, I decided to track him using the app. Long story short, it showed him just over the state line, in the opposite direction of his work in a completely different state. In addition, instead of being at his workplace, he was in two specific locations that he had no business being near. I accused him of being unfaithful, but he swears to God that he was at work.

I've Googled the accuracy of the app, and the consensus is that it's pretty accurate most of the time, but mistakes like showing up in another state are not uncommon. Oh, the two locations he had no business being near? They were gay bars...

Am I being paranoid, or am I justified in questioning his whereabouts?

 Cheers, Tom 😉

May 18, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

The WiFi-only iPad does not use cell towers to determine location. It uses the MAC addresses of nearby WiFi routers to lookup the location of these routers in an Apple database. The Apple database has been constructed from iPhones/iPads (GPS-enabled) reporting the location and MAC address of routers that it sees.

Probably a router that your iPad is seeing is misplaced in Apple's database or it has been moved from it's previous location.

Find my iPhone... Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.