Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checkbox 'Require password after sleep or screen saver begins' missing

Both my late 2012 iMac and my late 2011 MacBook Pro 13-inch are encrypted with FileVault2. I know this causes some changes in being not able to automatically login etc. It also changes the password requirements at System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General. The strange thing is that on my iMac I can uncheck the 'Require password after sleep or screen saver begins' checkbox, while on my MacBook the checkbox is gone (see screen prints below). On different support communities I saw it's an issue for a while, but I did not find a proper explanation and solution.

Can someone please explain me why the checkbox is gone only on my MacBook and how I can repair it, so I can uncheck this option?

User uploaded file

iMac with checkbox

User uploaded file

MacBook without checkbox

Posted on May 18, 2013 7:56 AM

17 replies

May 18, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

I think that it will ignore whatever the setting of the checkbox. Does it still require a password after wake from sleep if you disable the checkbox?

If so, it may just be a cosmetic thing since it will ignore the checkbox in any case.

However, if it does honor the setting, maybe it has to do with Desktop vs mobile device. For a desktop, being able to disable it would not necessarily result in a greater security risk due to the environment.

You mentioned other threads. Is there any consistency to the type of Mac?

I couldn't find any documentation; hence, the conjecture.

May 18, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the quick response.

It is correct that my iMac ignores the setting of the checkbox. Even if it is unchecked, it will ask for my password. It may just be cosmetic, but I prefer to have the checkbox removed if it is ignored. In my opinion it's a bug. And I try to understand why it is already removed on my MacBook and not on the iMac. Is there maybe a system-file which I can delete or something?

In other documentation the relation between this issue and FileVault2 is made, but not in relation to the type of Mac. See the link below:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1197335.html

May 18, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

I don't doubt that it is a bug, I'm just saying the code hasn't caught up with it. The System preferences change based on the hardware, so it may be that the code gets diverted to a different path when it is a notebook, and it removes the checkbox. The path it goes down if it is a desktop hasn't been updated to remove the checkbox. I doubt there is any setting that controls that.

May 18, 2013 9:33 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

Jeroen Kuper wrote:

Is there a way to report this issue to Apple, so they can in fix it in an update or new release?

You can try http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html ... but I suspect Apple won't consider it a bug for the laptops since the lack of the checkbox indicates there is no option to disable the setting completely.

Also, FWIW my 2012 iMac does have the checkbox & it does work -- if unchecked no password is required to wake it or dismiss the screen saver.

May 18, 2013 9:52 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

I am not using FileVault 2 on the iMac nor am I very familiar with it.

However, I am not sure that it always makes no sense to have the checkbox or that it always does nothing. According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790 (About FileVault 2), if the Mac has multiple user accounts, an account with no privileges to unlock the FV2 drive can still use it once a user with those privilege has done so.

So for that user at least, the option could be useful.

May 18, 2013 10:13 AM in response to R C-R

R C-R: Yes, maybe, but that would be a strange option to have because FV2 encrypts the whole drive :-)

For example: one privileged user encrypts the HDD with FV2 and a less privileged user may use the drive after the privileged user unlocks the FV2 HDD. When the less privileged user does not have to enter a password to access the HDD again after a screen saver or sleep-mode, the data on the HDD is still unprotected for unauthorized access while the less privileged user is using the HDD. What is the advantage of encryption?

May 18, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

Jeroen Kuper wrote:

When the less privileged user does not have to enter a password to access the HDD again after a screen saver or sleep-mode, the data on the HDD is still unprotected for unauthorized access while the less privileged user is using the HDD.

There is no advantage for the less privileged user with the box unchecked.

However, with it checked that user can allow the Mac to go into sleep or screensaver mode, leave the room, & know that someone else can't just tap a key & rummage through his or her files looking for personal info, send inflammatory or embarrassing emails while posing as that user, or the like.

May 18, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Jeroen Kuper

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

May 19, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc: thanks for the instruction. I already performed step 2, which is in most scenarios helpful while fixing strange behaviors of a Mac.

This morning I also tried step 1 and both steps do not fix the obsolete checkbox on my iMac. It maybe is a minor cosmetic thing, but I like to have it removed, or to have it reported to Apple, so they can fix it in a patch or release...

Checkbox 'Require password after sleep or screen saver begins' missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.