Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you text between 2 iPhones internationally (US to Canada) for free?

First time doing this. Can you text between 2 iPhones internationally (US to Canada) for free?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 18, 2013 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2013 9:38 AM

Thank you for your reply. So I am going to Canada and I am wondering if I turn off SMS and MMS in Settings when I am not on WiFi, will that eliminate cellular texts and charges? Just trying to figure out what to do. Thanks.

10 replies

May 18, 2013 9:22 AM in response to husky413

No. Texts are part of your phone company/carrier tarrif, so you are charged for them in the same way as you are charged for calls and data usage as part of your tarrif. Normally, you will have tariffs that offer a certain number of minutes and then perhaps unlimited texts and then with a certain amount of data. This will all be included for a monthly fee, so it is not free. If you go above your allowance, you will be charged more by your phone company, but no, it is not free because it is all part of the fee you pay monthly to your phone company.

Nothing is for free.

May 18, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Ethmoid

After writing my question I noticed other similar posts. I am now confused. Other people stated that if you are connected to WiFi, iMessages between iPhones are free. They say it treated just like email. Is this correct? I understand that If I am not connected to WiFi and I receive an iMessage, my cellular plan kicks in and I will be charged if I do not have a text plan. I look forward to your reply.

May 18, 2013 9:59 AM in response to husky413

Both iPhones need to have an icloud account iMessage enabled and be connected to a Wifi network.

When you do that the message bubbles change colour to Aqua Blue and are sent via the Internet as opposed to the Cellular network.

If one or both are only connected to cellular networks the bubble colour remains standard green and are sent as standard SMS/MMS messages for which network charges apply.

Both use the same iOS messaging app !

Can you text between 2 iPhones internationally (US to Canada) for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.