4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 10:20 AM by Linc Davis
MacTRBQ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I use Safari 6.0.4 on 4 Macs and get the same results (Mac Pro 2010) Mac Pro (2009) iMac (2011) MacBook Air (2011) and  new iMac (2013).  Each is running Mountain Lion and each the latest version of Safari.  And each does exactly the same thing when I try to download a pdf file using Safari.  The progress bar moves about 1/3 of the way toward completion and then stops; no further progress is made.  I'm guessing my settings are wrong (though I use the default settings for Safari).  I hope someone has had a similar problem and suggest possible corrections.  Thank you.  Tim

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Safari won't download pdf files
  • 1. Re: Safari won't download pdf files
    Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (118,490 points)

This happens with all PDF files on all web pages? What about this one:

Apple - Support - Manuals

• 2. Re: Safari won't download pdf files
    kigeliakitten2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

With me it doesn't happen every single time, but enough to be really annoying. 

• 3. Re: Safari won't download pdf files
    MacTRBQ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

LInc: I assume you mean one of the Apple Manual .pdfs?  If so, yes, the exact same thing happens and only with Safari.  Thank you for your response.

• 4. Re: Safari won't download pdf files
    Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (118,490 points)

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line of text below to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens (command-V), then press return.

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari, and test.

The "Silverlight" web plugin distributed by Microsoft can also interfere with PDF display in Safari, so you may need to remove it as well, if it's present.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.