Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i turn off my keyboard on my macbook pro?

I want to disable all the keys. How?????

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 18, 2013 12:21 PM

26 replies

Jan 31, 2017 10:57 PM in response to rommcm

Breaking News: Neutral suggestions do not contribute to the solution.

I don't get it (not that I'm expecting an answer in a necro-thread), why do people state the obvious when they have nothing to build on it? like if you have foundation for the solution to an unsolved problem, great, we're all on the same page then. Didn't have to announce it though, you being here was enough thanks.

I get that somethings people don't see the obvious from their perspective. But give them the benefit of the doubt or at at the same time that what you're stating is for a case of brain fart rather than a round about way of saying I don' know"

Dec 13, 2017 10:36 AM in response to Macbookbroc

I've disabled the built-in keyboard on my Macbook 13'' Mid-2010, using "sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext".

Now I need it back, but "sudo kextuoad /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext" doesn't work! It asks for a password as usual, and then... nothing!

Please help!

Sep 6, 2014 11:53 AM in response to dominic23

People log onto these boards looking for answers to their problems, not reasons why their problems are actually unobjectionable. I can't even imagine being so completely personally identified with a brand that I would tell a person something like this. Your response is essentially pro-Apple propaganda, aimed at a person already using an Apple product and having problems with it that they are coming to you seeking help with. As such, your response is actually worse than useless.

Sep 9, 2014 9:12 AM in response to leroydouglas

At the time I posted this rather aggressive response, my keyboard had been damaged in such a way that the computer behaved as if the Command key were constantly being pressed down. Thus trying to type the letter "p" would attempt to print something. It was easier to use the virtual keyboard or connect a keyboard via USB, but they would behave the same way unless the internal keyboard was turned off.

For the record, what I wound up doing was cutting and pasting the following into the terminal (with my admin password):

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext/

To turn it back on, I did this:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext/

Apr 19, 2015 8:05 AM in response to bewilderness

error in 10.10.3 (14D136)

Can't create /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb .

Can't open CFBundle for /Users/av/oard.kext.

Can't create oard.kext.

you have an error in the string: "sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext/"

should be "sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyb oard.kext/" [no space between Keyb .. and .. ord].

the corrected string brings back this error:

(kernel) Can't unload kext com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard; classes have instances:

(kernel) Kext com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard class AppleUSBTCKeyboard has 1 instance.

Failed to unload com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).

Please advise.

Oct 25, 2015 10:07 PM in response to avincent98122

I know this is an old thread, but i just discovered by accident a way to disable the keys running Yosemite. All i did was press the option key 5 times in a row and all of the keys do not work until i press it 5 times again. When i first did it by accident i thought my keyboard was broken but when i restarted the computer it was back to normal. I don't really know why this happens, but it does.

how do i turn off my keyboard on my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.