Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view playlist pane?

iTunes 11.0.3 Mac.

Seems straightforward enough, but I give up. I've found many examples of using the right-side playlist pane, but nothing about how to toggle it into view.

The Apple tutorial video for iTunes demonstrates dragging an album from the music/albums list to a right-side playlist pane which is also showing an album covers view. In basic terms, I cannot find how to turn that playlist pane on.

Bonus round. I keep seeing screen dumps on the web where there are a couple of buttons in the lower-right corner of the main window, that might be related to changing views question number 1. My window is blank down there; were those images from previous versions?

Preview-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 18, 2013 12:00 PM

8 replies

May 18, 2013 12:15 PM in response to SkyHook17

SkyHook17 wrote:

The Apple tutorial video for iTunes

Which video tutorial?

This one? -> http://www.apple.com/findouthow/music/itunes.html#video-playlists

demonstrates dragging an album from the music/albums list to a right-side playlist pane which is also showing an album covers view
Actually, it demonstates dragging an album from Music to a playlist in the left side sidebar.

Bonus round. I keep seeing screen dumps on the web where there are a couple of buttons in the lower-right corner of the main window, that might be related to changing views question number 1. My window is blank down there; were those images from previous versions?

Which screen dumps? Link?

Those buttons seem to have been moved to the top of the iTunes window.

May 18, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Chris CA

This is the top of the current iTunes product page, May18, 2013. Try not to laugh at how fast iTunes launches at the video start:

User uploaded file

Around 0:40 you can watch the demo select "new playlist" with the plus operator button in the lower left corner of the main window, which makes the playlist pane appear on the right side ready for drag'n'drop. I'd like to make the playlist pane appear at will, toggle it for use with existing playlists while browsing the album view, but I can't find how that functions.

I know I can make my main window look like the demo by selecting playlists tab, then "Add to…" button in the upper-right which makes the album list appear, but at that point I still can't view entire albums in the playlist pane, only individual songs. If this is related to a final solution, it sure looks kinda RPN to me.

As for the Bonus Round, I was only trying to support my question by claiming that everything I find online with lower-right buttons doesn't look like my iTunes, so I assume they are alternative versions. To be more explicit, here is the most exotic example of my window bottom, in playlist tab. Other tabs are simply blank:

User uploaded file

May 20, 2013 11:02 AM in response to SkyHook17

There is no way I'm letting this thread die until I understand what's going on, pushed off the poop deck by "how to I uninstall 11" conversations. Never.

I finally understand how to get the view I want manually, by selecting the pulldown under the gear button/Edit Playlists, not the plus sign button. Same function as I described above with "Add To…" but buttons in opposite corners. The duplicity itself seems untrustworthy. This swaps in the Albums tab and puts the playlist pane on the right, for whatever playlist was currently selected under Playlists tab. Of course edit and new are on different menus at the lower left, so logically.

The view I end up with has songs separated in the playlist pane. All options under playlist pane's "Sort by" display in a similar fashion. How did Apple get the playlist pane to display entire albums only?

User uploaded file

Is it possible that Apple only had one song in each album of their Albums collection, just to be sly about the display?
They do have song titles listed.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2013 4:26 PM in response to SkyHook17

Getting closer.

This Apple help file was informative. You can't push to the right if the left sidebar is currently viewed, but without expanding the playlist on the right it's pretty much identical to leaving the left sidebar in view and dropping it there; faster in the sidebar because your mouse cursor is already over the playlist you're about to open for editing, whereas on the right the pane disappears with the drop. If you drop the album in the open space it creates a new playlist of the album name with a chance to edit, again, same as the left sidebar. Ironically, the playlist pane lets you jump straight into editing while you have to unselect/reselect in the left sidebar, but only with new playlists.

Playlist pane doesn't remain in view, however, and you have to switch to a playlist view to edit. Also, still no album view in that mode.

Now that this is looking hopeless, I'll say all I really want to do is see my albums in the playlist and drop the selection into the manual sort where it highlights. So obvious, but it seems I can only do that by first switching to playlist "Add to…" mode, and accepting track view instead of album view.

I'll leave this unsolved, if by some miracle it gets dredged up or re-addressed in the future.

Jun 15, 2014 5:55 PM in response to SkyHook17

I found a way to work around this issue.

It is not like you would expect it to be, but by enabling the 'sidebar', you can drag whole albums into playlists, all the while having them always visible. Go to See, and then enable the sidebar. Then, on the new sidebar on the left, select music, at the top. Scroll down to the playlists. Pick the album view (or anything else). And drag.

User uploaded file

Jun 15, 2014 9:58 PM in response to FriedHamsters

Well, now we have the sidebar on the left, and the popup dragging to the right, but the best thing about all this evolution is that the albums view now stays parked in the position it was abandoned at, which was in the background of my original question.

If the album view doesn't reset when I drag away from it, then I'm not really sensitive about toggling views; I will return to where I left off. Used to be that it scrolled back to the top every time the window view changed.

I wonder how many times iTunes has been updated since my first post?

How to view playlist pane?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.