Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my apple ID primary email, how do I update my iPad without deleting data

I have updated my apple ID primary email, however the change has not automatically updated on my iPad and iPhone. The accounts listed on iTunes and iCloud still use the old email address however this account no longer exists as my password no longer works. Does this mean I have to delete all my info and reload everything, will I lose any Data? Will I be able to update apps purchased using the old email address?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, iPhone 3GS with 6.3.1

Posted on May 18, 2013 3:45 PM

6 replies

May 18, 2013 3:56 PM in response to Jfettes

Also, when I have previously changed iTunes accounts, I have found that apps purchased on the old account can not be updated unless the password for the old account is entered. In this case as the password does not work for the old account so I am concerned that I will have to delete all the old apps and reinstall them using the new email.

May 18, 2013 4:41 PM in response to Jfettes

Read the response here from Oliverdumoulin Read the remarks about deleting the iCloud account.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3418775?answerId=16485466022#16485466022

I have always been under the impression that changing the username that you use for your Apple ID (in this case the email address which is supposed to be your username) that it had no effect on previous purchases. I assumed that you should be able to download the apps again for free using the changed username/AppleID.

You could try deleting one app and then try to download it again using the new ID and see what happens. Honestly, after reading about this for 4 years now, I am still unclear what happens when you change the email address that you use for your Apple ID. Obviously its not quite as seamless as I thought it would be.

I just found this as well.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/transferring-data-when-moving -to-a-new-icloud-account/

I changed my apple ID primary email, how do I update my iPad without deleting data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.