Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Apple TV can't connect to the server at this time..." Going on for days. I've tried resets, changing my password, network diagnosis, etc... Still no luck. Was working perfect prior. Anyone else stuck like I am?

"Apple TV can't connect to the server at this time..." Going on for days. I've tried resets, changing my password, network diagnosis, etc... Still no luck. Was working perfect prior. Anyone else stuck like I am

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iMac

Posted on May 18, 2013 4:52 PM

51 replies

Nov 16, 2013 10:41 PM in response to soplax

Same issue here. It's laughable to be told to reset the Settings when the whole ****** thing is frozen.
I don't care much for comments but... what the **** is happening at Apple? My iPhone5 is crap, Airplay is crap, constantly waking my iMac screen for no obvious reason is crap. We're not buying crap here, we're paying top dollar and we expect and deserve THE BEST.

May 20, 2013 2:41 PM in response to soplax

Hi soplax,

I'm sorry you are having issues connecting with your Apple TV. I see you've tried several things.

For this particular error message, "Reset All Settings" usually works, so I would follow these directions first:

See page 31 of the Apple TV User Gide

manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/apple_tv_3rd_gen_setup.pdf

You can reset all of the settings on your Apple TV to factory values.

Important: This requires you to reenter all of your network and account

information.

To reset all settings:

Choose Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

If you still have trouble, try resetting your equipment by disconnecting Apple TV,

your TV, your wireless networking equipment or base station, and your router

from the power outlet. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect everything.

It also may be helpful to switch between a wired and wireless network:

Apple TV: Switching between wired and wireless networks

1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Apple TV.
  2. Navigate to Settings > General > Network.
  3. Click Configure Wireless.
  4. A list of available wireless networks will appear. Navigate to the network you wish to join and select it. If the network you wish to join is hidden, click Other and enter the network name using the on screen keyboard and the remote.
  5. When finished, click Done.
  6. If your wireless network requires a password, a keyboard will appear allowing you to enter the password using your remote. When this is completed, click Done. A "Connecting to wireless network" screen appears.
  7. When the operation is completed, a "Connection Succeeded" screen appears. Click Done. The screen should display the wireless network information, including network name, IP address, Wi-Fi Address, and signal strength.

To switch back to a wired connection, simply plug in the Ethernet cable. Apple TV will switch to it automatically. Apple TV prioritizes a wired Ethernet connection.

These are the first things to try. For additional Apple TV Support information, please refer to this website:

http://www.apple.com/support/appletv/

I hope this helps ...

- Judy

Jul 1, 2013 6:59 AM in response to judysings

I have had the same problem. This only started occuring in the past couple of weeks. I too have tried all of the above solutions and they are nothing but short fixes, I have to unplug everything and resent everything EVERY time I use my ATV.

Instead of Apple giving all of these 'helpful tips', I suggest they pull it together and get this fixed...

Aug 23, 2013 7:45 PM in response to soplax

Lets be frank: this is an internal server communication issue at Apple that they don't want to fix or acknowledge. This "unable to sign in" or unable to communicate issues are all about purchase validation ONLY. That is where it hangs up. For example, I can see favorites but it won't access my list of purchased items. And yet - the only advice they have is reboot?

The same issue happens when trying to watch Netflix on ATV. It can't connect to the Netflix server but gosh golly gee, I switch to my Roku box and no problem. Unfortunately for Apple, while I'm over there I'm starting to to buy movies and shows from Amazon

Apple doesn't make it's money from the $99 Apple TV sale - it's the iTunes purchases. If we want them to listen we need to interrupt that revenue stream.

Aug 29, 2013 1:09 AM in response to soplax

I have exactly the same issue - since yesterday. Until yesterday everything was working fine since months.

Yesterday I was listening to one of my purchased albums in iTunes Store on my ATV. Everything worked fine until the last song of the album. This song was suddenly interrupted, followed by the message that ATV can't connect to the iTunes store (No content found).

I also tried a lot of the hints above, including un- and replugging, new start, switching to a preview of a movie inbetween, etc... Sometimes it worked again for 1 or 2 songs but then the same issue occurs again.

Everything else works fine: I can watch movies, I can play music via AirPlay from iTunes running on my notebook > so it's definitely not a general network or wi-fi problem.

And it can't be the solution to replug, restart, connect via cable etc. everytime I want to listen to my purchased music on the iTunes store.

By the way: I thought about purchasing iTunes Match soon... but if this major annoying issue won't be fixed in general by Apple, I won't purchase any music content on iTunes anymore. If Apple is putting everything online or into a cloud, on web servers etc. they have to make sure that the users can access the content.

"Apple TV can't connect to the server at this time..." Going on for days. I've tried resets, changing my password, network diagnosis, etc... Still no luck. Was working perfect prior. Anyone else stuck like I am?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.