Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create symlink in Application Support folder?

I had no problem in the past with creation of symlinks inside the ~/Library/Application Support folder, but not anymore. the "ln -s" command in Terminal creates only the alias now, instead of symlink. I really need help with this problem.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 18, 2013 5:43 PM

16 replies

May 18, 2013 6:50 PM in response to etresoft

Yes, I know what "ln -s" command creates and I have used it in the past without problems - but this time it simply doesn't want to create symlink inside ~/Library/Application Support folder, it insists on creating an alias.

And yes, there are gazzilions of reasons for creating a symlink in that folder - many applications insist on placing their data folders there. I keep only system and applications on my boot drive (128 GB SSD) and all data on the second HDD - it simplifies backup and recovery, simplifies booting from cloned system volume with full access to the folders outside SSD is there is a problem and I need to reinstall OSX, plus there are no 2TB or larger SSD's yet on the market (not that I could afford one at current prices per GB of SSD). So, I keep iTunes (over 500 GB), photos, movies (another 500+ GB) outside of SSD on the HDD inside the MyMedia volume and all my documents (over 100 GB) inside MyDocs volume on HDD.

One of those offending programs insisting to keep everything inside ~/Library/Application Support folder is Adobe Air used by Zinio Reader. I have a large, ever growing Zinio library (over 15 GB as of now) and shortly after getting SSD and upgrading to Mountain Lion ages ago I was able to move the Zinio library to HDD and then create a symlink to it in ~/Library/Application Support folder's location using "ln -s" command. No problem at all. I hope the above long explanation tells you clearly that there are reasons for creating aliases and symlinks in ~/Library.

Now my HDD is getting old and doesn't have enough space anymore, so I replaces it with new larger HDD. Everything works, except the problem with creating a symlink to Zinio library inside the proper location inside ~/Library/Application Support folder. Like I said - I tried all, I started the easy way with SymbolicLinker service - it created an alias instead of symlink. Then I tried SymLinker app - it doesn't allow me to select any target inside ~/Library/Application Support folder. Finally I turned to trusted Terminal and used "ln -s" command - it created an alias again, instead of symlink.

May 18, 2013 7:23 PM in response to etresoft

The Library folder is hidden so those with not enough knowledge cannot mess with it. Any advanced user can make Library folder visible anyway. Moving entire Home folder creates more problems that it solves.

My problem is that in the past I was able to create a working symlink inside ~/Library/Application Support folder using "ln -s" command without any problems and now the very same command creates only an alias.

This is the problem I'm looking for help with, what to do to force "ln -s" command to create a symlink where I want to have it as it supposed to do, not how to organize my files - no disrespect intended.

May 18, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for reply, but as I described the "ln -s" command creates only an alias, doesn't want to create a symlink. Same thing with both applications you mentioned - in my particular case they don't work either. SymbolicLinker service creates an alias and when trying SymLinker the app doesn't allow me to select any target folder inside ~/Library/Application Support.

May 18, 2013 7:10 PM in response to andrewm8

andrewm8 wrote:

I hope the above long explanation tells you clearly that there are reasons for creating aliases and symlinks in ~/Library.

Sorry, but no. The Library folder is hidden for a reason - to keep you from doing that very thing. You have ignored that and gone ahead and done it anyway. Now you are reporting something completely out of left field. Correlation or causation?

If you have more data than will fit on your SSD, then move your entire home directory to your hard disk. That is completely supported and every bit as fast as your current, hand-crafted setup. No problems with backups. No terminal needed.

If you are interested in how to move your home directory, I would be glad to help. The hardest part will be undoing all of your symbolic links.

May 18, 2013 7:42 PM in response to andrewm8

andrewm8 wrote:

Moving entire Home folder creates more problems that it solves.

Moving the entire home folder is perfectly save, actively supported by Apple, and will not even be noticed.

My problem is that in the past I was able to create a working symlink inside ~/Library/Application Support folder using "ln -s" command without any problems and now the very same command creates only an alias.

This is the problem I'm looking for help with, what to do to force "ln -s" command to create a symlink where I want to have it as it supposed to do, not how to organize my files - no disrespect intended.

Alas, I cannot help with that because I have never seen OS X do that since the first days of the public beta. I can tell you how to move your home directory and get the greatest use and performance from your SSD drive. But I can't make the sky turn from green to purple.

May 18, 2013 9:34 PM in response to Barney-15E

I used the symlink before and in the same location (~/Library/Application Support folder) to my Zinio Library on the old HDD. Now I changed the HDD (thus location of Zinio Library changed) and cannot create symlink to it, all I'm getting are aliases.

What indicates that they are aliases and not symlinks? The one indication is the size - aliases created are about 5 MB in size, while my old symlink was mere 75 bytes.

I reinstalled the old HDD and the restored old symlink from the clone and it properly tells Zinio Reader where it's Library is. So, nothing wrong with using the symlink in that location. Just cannot create new one.

May 19, 2013 10:19 AM in response to andrewm8

That seems completely odd. I can't imagine the unix command creating an alias, unless it was handing off the task to the GUI somehow. The other program you mentioned did the same thing.

I guess you didn't happen to try after repairing permissions and before the Combo Update?

Since permission repair does not affect the home folder, I would imagine it was the combo update.

Could those symlink programs have done something to the system?

How to create symlink in Application Support folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.