Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating un-jailbroken 3gs iOS results in activation error - Help please!

After updating my iphone 3gs to a new iOS it comes up with an activation error - this phone has NOT been jailbroken and I have tried apples suggestions. Is there anything else I can do - or should I go just in to an apple store?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 19, 2013 4:54 AM

7 replies

May 19, 2013 5:16 AM in response to Allan Sampson

These are the things I have tried: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3424?viewlocale=en_US

And the error message says: Activation request could not be completed. If the problem persists, please contact customer care.

After doing a factory restore this message comes up in itunes:

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

I am also trying to activate it without a SIM... I lost my 4S last night and am trying to use this one with the internet for the time being until it is either returned or I get another SIM. The phone was working perfectly until I did the ios update

May 19, 2013 5:18 AM in response to ae_ee

I am also trying to activate it without a SIM... I lost my 4S last night and am trying to use this one with the internet for the time being until it is either returned or I get another SIM. The phone was working perfectly until I did the ios update

There lies your problem - an iPhone cannot be activated without a SIM card inserted, and activation is required when restoring an iPhone with iTunes and when installing an iOS update.

Updating un-jailbroken 3gs iOS results in activation error - Help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.