Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library is 106.6 Gb but only 2,452 photos!

The memory of my MBP was getting a bit full and so I decided to have a bit of a clear out. I started by transfering a 40Gb project to my iMac, which seemed to go well, as it is fully on the iMac, and so deleted the photos on MBP but the size of the library only reduced by 6 GB!

I have now deleted a few hundred more photos from my MBP and the size of the iphoto library is currently sitting at 106.6Gb for 2,452 photos. All the photos have either been taken on an iphone, a 14 Mb Panasonic point and shoot or a Canon 20d, which only produces 8Mb files.

Very confused.

Trash and Aperture trash are both completey empty.

I'm running Apeture 3.4.4 on both MBP and iMac if that makes a difference.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 19, 2013 1:58 AM

8 replies

May 21, 2013 12:40 AM in response to PC 99

Google Translate:

Hello!

The size of the library not only grows by the number of images that are muchso understand the factors that affect them. One example is the so-called "Previews" and the quality and size of them. These previews that serve Aperture integration with other programs like iLife or iWork platform, can significantly increase the size of the library.

The configuration of these previews is set to Aperture preferences.

Check also if the trash is empty program, or if you have images marked as "Rejected" that despite not being visible, might be taking up space in the library.

As a last resort try Aperture Repair Permissions and Repair Data Base for possible inconsistencies in the library.

Original Spanish:

Hola!

El tamaño de la biblioteca no sólo crece por el número de imágenes, entiendo que son muchso los factores que afectan. Un ejemplo son las denominadas "Vistas Previas" y la calidad y tamaño de las mismas. Estas vistas previas que sirven para la integración de Aperture con otros programas de la plataforma como iLife o iWork, pueden aumentar considerablemente el tamaño de la librería.

La configuracion de estas vistas prevías se establece en las preferencias de Aperture.

Compruebe tambien si la papelera del programa esta vacia, o si tiene imágenes marcadas como "Rejected" que a pesar de no estar visibles, podrían estar ocupando espacio en la libreria.

Como ultimo recurso prueba a Reparar Permisos en Aperture, así como Reparar La Base de Datos para buscar posibles inconsistencias en la librería.

May 21, 2013 3:49 PM in response to iHeylen

Hola!

Thanks for your help. I have checked the Rejected file and trash and all are empty. I also turned off the preview link to iLife and iWork which has reduced the size of the storage space associated to photos in the system information to 105.57 Gb but the iPhoto Library is still 106.6Gb which suggests something must be wrong.

How do I go about trying the Aperture Repair Permissions and Repaid Data Base you mentioned?

May 21, 2013 11:56 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Use the Aperture Library First Aid tools

Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you start Aperture. The Aperture Library First Aid dialog will appear and offer the following three troubleshooting options:

Repair Permissions. Some issues in Aperture may be caused by incorrect permissions for items in the library. To correct the permissions for your library, select the option to Repair Permissions then click the Repair button. You must authenticate with a user name and password for a user account with administrative access to perform this operation.

Repair Database. Sometimes internal structures within the library may become damaged and cause unexpected behavior; you can use Repair Database to try to correct the issue. Select the option to Repair Database then click the Repair button.

Rebuild Database. For more severe issues that can't be corrected with Repair Permissions or Repair Database, you can try Rebuild Database. It is strongly recommended that you have a complete backup of your Aperture library before performing this operation, either in the form of a recently updated vault, or a Time Machine backup. Select the option to Rebuild Database then click the Rebuild button in the Aperture Library First Aid dialog.

----

I do not recommend rebuilding the database unless it is extremely necessary. It is the last option you should use.

May 22, 2013 12:40 AM in response to PC 99

106.6Gb for 2,452 photos.

Look into your Aperture/iPhoto Library, what is taking up so much space. Select your PhotoLibrary in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Use the command "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu and look at the sizes of the folders. How large is the "Masters" folder? Even if all your original image files were 20MB, this folder should not be larger than 50GB.

Are you syncing your Aperture library with your iPhone using iTunes? Then the iPod Photo Cache can be quite large. Try if removing it will make a difference, see:

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Check your settings for preview images. If you accidentally set the size for Previews to create 10000x10000 previews, your Previews folder might be gigantic.

If you find, that your Masters folder is much too large for the number of pictures you are having, that maybe due to lost original image files in this folder. This can happen, if you are working frequently with externals editors and they are saving back incorrectly, so that Aperture does not recogized the image that has been saved back.

The safest way to get rid of stray image files in the Masters folder is to rebuild the Aperture library - see the third option in iHeylen's post. Aperture will index its Photo Library again, rebuild the database files, and collect unknown original image files in a separate project "Recovered". You can browse this project and check, if it has any images that you need to keep, and then trash the others.

Regards

Léonie

May 22, 2013 10:32 AM in response to léonie

Léonie & iHeylen

Thank you.

Between you I think I will be ok. I looked in the masters folder and found 99 Gb and 7,642 photos! It looks like it hasn't actually deleted anything recently although the Rejected folder, Aperture trash and normal trash are all completely empty.

I will do a full back up and then rebuild the database and see how that goes.

I have also got 3 Gb for 2,279 images of previews. I'm assuming the rebuild will sort that out as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

May 22, 2013 11:04 AM in response to PC 99

You are welcome.

One more thought:

It looks like it hasn't actually deleted anything recently although the Rejected folder, Aperture trash and normal trash are all completely empty.

To be sure that the Trash and the "Rejected" album are really empty, turn on item counts for the albums and projects, if you have not done so.

Then you will see the number of items, even if the contents is hidden by a filter.

Enable "Show number of versions for projects and albums" in the "Appearance" panel of the P

references.

User uploaded file

Then you will see the number of items in the library panel to the right of the albums; for example you can see here, that the Trash contains an image, even if the Browser is empty.

Library is 106.6 Gb but only 2,452 photos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.