Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The sound has stopped working on my iphone 4S

I used my iphone 4S with Apple TV at a friend's house. Since then, the sound is not working. I can't listen to music, and I can't adjust the volume on my phone anymore? I restarted my phone, and I restored it from backup, but nothing has worked so far. Is there something I'm missing, or can this be fixed?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 19, 2013 8:50 AM

3 replies

May 21, 2013 8:01 AM in response to jill727

Hello there Jill,

I was looking into the issue you describe and, first I feel that you have done great troubleshooting already, and second if this is a software issue, then my suggestion will fix it. When you restored the phone, you restored from a backup. I would recommend that instead of restoring from a backup, restore it as a new device, do NOT install any backups when you restore the phone and see if the issue persists. If it does not and the sound works, then there is a setting on one of your apps that is interfering with the phone speaker.

You can also try resetting All Settings on the iPhone before you restore the device as new. From our iPhone User Guide found here http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf page 33:

Reset iPhone: Go to Settings > General > Reset, then choose an option:

• Reset all settings: All your preferences and settings are reset.

All the best,

Sterling

May 1, 2014 1:00 PM in response to sterling r

Hi Stirling & Jill,

The sound has just stopped working on my iPhone 4s as well. The volume option has also simply disappeared from the Control Centre & Siri 'doesn't know what I mean' by Volume, Sounds or Sound Settings. The only way I can hear any tones (ring, alert, keyboard clicks etc) or music is to connect headphones.

Here's what happened: Everything was normal, I had 42% battery & was taking a photo (standard camera, not in-app camera), when my phone powered off, then when I tried to switch it on, it indicated that the battery was flat, so I plugged in the charger, it switched on immediately & said it had 39% battery level AND NO SOUND.

I have tried the above advice with no result - it's incredibly frustrating.

There is a software update available (7.1.1) but hesitate to install it as I was advised to update to IOS 7.0.4 only a few months ago to "fix" a software bug, not only did it not work, but my battery life went from 20 hours to 5 hours (which I still find appalling & unacceptable).

I would appreciate any advice you have on how or if this known fault can be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

The sound has stopped working on my iphone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.