Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Crashed in the middle of tagging new images

When I try to launch Aperture, I get a message saying that there was an error opening the database. No what do I do? When I launch Aperture, it just sits there and grinds away.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 24"

Posted on May 19, 2013 8:50 AM

12 replies

May 20, 2013 1:28 AM in response to dsloan

My iMac has all the latest software running.

Aperture 3.4.4 and MacOS X 10.8.3?

Did you install any new software (Applications, fonts, drivers, plug-ins, firewalls, ...) lately or update something? Did you run cleaner applications? Is Aperture the only application giving trouble?

Tried opening another, smaller, older library...same thing.

Can you at least create a new Aperture Library and open it? (Launch Aperture with the options key ⌥ held down and select other/new).

If that does not work, can you launch Aperture from a different user account - see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4053?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US ?

If Aperture works from a different account, there may be something wrong with your settings in your user library. Try if remove the preferences or the presets helps as described in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

If it does not even work from a different account, then reinstall Aperture.

May 29, 2013 7:59 PM in response to léonie

I have reinstalled Aperture 3 and updated to 3.4.4. Had to restore from my Valult. Taking a long time process everything (1088 projects). Now I'm updating the Vault.

My Library is located on the same ext HD that my referenced photos are on. Once this is all up-to-date, I'm thinking of moving just the Library back onto my iMac Internal HD so it will be faster. Your thoughts?

May 30, 2013 7:21 AM in response to dsloan

Am I correct in thinking that if I keep the referenced files in the exact same location, I can move the Library from the Ext HD to the Int HD and then launch the Library?

That should work - as long as you do not move the referenced original files the library can be moved. Double click the library in the new location t open it.

Aperture Crashed in the middle of tagging new images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.