Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable TRIM on Samsung SSD 840, is it necessary?

This type of question has been asked a lot of times, I know, but I would like to receive some advice from experts.

Few weeks ago I installed my Samsung SSD 840. People say that it's not necessary to enable TRIM for such type of SSD. Others say that it allows to maintain the life of the SSD. So, what do you think about? What way to follow?

Note that in this case TRIM would be enabled by third part apps (TRIM enabler or Chameleon) and not by Apple.

Thank you in adavnce.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 19, 2013 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2013 12:33 PM

It can't hurt to enable TRIM, but you are correct that it may not be necessary on current model SSDs which supposedly are doing their own garbage collection.

4 replies

May 19, 2013 12:56 PM in response to mac_giabber

I doubt you will notice any change in performance. Garbage collection usually is performed during idle time.

In reality it can take a long time before an SSD starts to slow down without TRIM (if it's required.) If the drive does start to slowdown, it's fairly easy to "fix" the problem by simply doing a zero data (one-pass) re-format.

Modern SSDs have un-TRIMed lives of at least 10 years. I don't think worrying over it is really justified anymore. But as I said, nothing is harmed by installing the TRIM support. Apple enables it on that same model when they installed them.

May 19, 2013 2:01 PM in response to mac_giabber

TRIM does not improve performance. Do a google search for TRIM and read up on it. Is it necessary and a good thing to have enbled? I say yes it is even if the drive does some garbage collection. If TIRM was not needed or not good for the drive apple would not auto enable it on ssd's that are branded by apple. Neither would windows 7 auto enable trim when windows sees a ssd installed.

mac_giabber wrote:

Kappy,

Thank you for yur reply.

If I enable the TRIM, what about the performance? Will it improve or not? IMHO, this would put an overhead on the SSD. What do you think about?

Thank you again.

Enable TRIM on Samsung SSD 840, is it necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.