Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two accounts on MacBook

Hi,

I'm buying MacBook to my daughter (I will not use that Mac at all) . I already has iMac with lot of purchased apps with my Apple ID. My plan is to open two accounts on MacBook, both with administrator rights.

My plan is to install all apps which my daughter needs through my account with my Apple ID.

So, I have two questions:

1. how to set my account so she can only have access to purchased apps, and not my iCloud data? (not to sign in to my iCloud account?)

2. when she is on her account and AppStore app says "you have an update of some app", does she needs to fill my Apple ID and password every time (and call me every time to update for her), or it can be managed some way that I don't need to do every time.

My basic intention is to automate update process somehow without giving her my Apple ID password.

Thanks

Posted on May 19, 2013 2:32 PM

8 replies

May 19, 2013 3:04 PM in response to Dario5555

First off, you may only legally share your purchased iTunes/Mac App Store content with your daughter if she is a minor child or college age young adult living with you or away attending college. An adult daughter living in her own home cannot legally use your purchased apps.

If you install the apps in the Applications folder on the new iMac, any user account on that same Mac should be able to use the apps without having to have access to your Apple ID.

Because the apps are your apps, registered to your Apple ID, only your ID and password can update these apps.

May 19, 2013 3:44 PM in response to Dah•veed

Yes You are right, she is 16-years old, and this is for school.

As I understand you, she can't update installed (with my Apple ID and pass) apps from her account. I always have to be "around" to update some apps which are already installed through her's account, or to log in on my account?

I'm asking because on my iMac when I like to reinstall or update some previously purchased app, I's not neccessery to use my Apple ID and password everytime. Only in time of purchase. And I don't like idea to give her my Apple ID and password. But if I have to, OK.

In our case it isn't metter of trust, it's just metter of my privacy (iCloud mail and other private things cooonected to Apple ID).

Do you have some ideas or other solutions for updating apps in this situation?

And, thank you a lot for your fast answer!

Two accounts on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.