Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini and Revit/AutoCAD???

I want to venture into the Mac system deeper. I currently have an iPhone 4S, an iPad 3 and the latest iPad4. I also have an Airport Extreme and an Apple TV 3rd Generation. I really don't want to have a laptop that I would feel compelled to lug around and I don't think I need another desktop system. Most of what I run is MS Office and AutoCAD and Revit. So, it seems to me that an Mac Mini would fit the bill for me in terms of having enough space to install the software as well as enough space to install Windows and run in bootcamp mode.

But, I don't see much discussion on it. Does anyone know if this would be a good or bad idea?

Pros: Less expensive way to get familiar with the Mac full ecosystem...Can leverage current HDMI monitor and keyboards/mice/etc...small footprint...portable should I want to take it with me...Being able to run the Mac ported version of AutoCAD would be very helpful to assisting my students who, currently in lab, only have a Windows version of AutoCAD but at home use a Mac version of AutoCAD...could also play with XCode and see if writing apps is something of interest to me.

Cons: Might not be enough UMPH to use Revit in Windows bootcamp startup...Graphics might not be up to the task...would need to sacrafice a large portion of the Hard disk drive to allow for the Windows installation.

I don't really NEED it to be super productive in Revit- simply to tinker with it and see how it works on a Mac. All of my real production work would still be done on my high end Windows PC...unless, of course, things run REALLYwell on the Mac mini.

Opinions please?

iPad, iOS 5.1, 64GB 4G LTE

Posted on May 19, 2013 3:58 PM

There are no replies.

Mac Mini and Revit/AutoCAD???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.