Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! MacBook Pro won't start - dim, flickering charger light.

Hi!

I'm in dire need of help. I just bought my MacBook Pro in February of 2013 and now it won't turn on. A few weeks ago when I was watching a movie (using the cd drive), my laptop froze and I had to force it to restart. Now though, no matter how long I'll hold the power button, it won't turn back on. I was using it about 20 minutes ago and the battery was at about 50%, so I know it's not dead. Another problem I have, is that when I plug my charger into my laptop the light on the charge will be a dim green and it flickers (repeatedly switching from green to orange if you look closely). I don't think the problem is my charger because I tried to use it on my brother's laptop and it worked just find fine. I also tried using his charger on my laptop, and got the same problem.

As I mentioned it's a new model so I cannot remove the battery, so I'm most likely out if luck with that option. I've tried to reset the SMC by holding down the Shift-Control-Option keys (on the left side) and the power button at the same time, letting them go, and then pressing the power button but that didn't work.

I've goggled just about everything and I can't seem to fix this problem.

Can anyone help, please? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 19, 2013 7:03 PM

5 replies

May 19, 2013 7:08 PM in response to Arai82

I've goggled just about everything and I can't seem to fix this problem.

You shouldn't!

You are still under warranty. Call Apple Care. Make sure you get a case number as all repairs have an additional 90 days of warranty.

#1 - You have 14 days from the date of purchase to return your computer with no questions asked.

#2 - You have 90 days of FREE phone tech support.

#3 - You have the standard one year Apple warranty.

#4 - If you've purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan, your warranty last for 3 years. You can obtain AppleCare anytime up to the first year of the purchase of your computer.

Take FULL advantage of your warranty. Posting on a message board should be done as a last resort and if you are out of warranty or Apple Care has expired.

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2014 4:29 AM in response to Arai82

Hi!

I had the same problem last week.

If you were using the USB Port, if you plugged something to your mac it was probably generating a short circuit.

when your mac detects that it goes to "protect" mode. It has to be reset by your Mac store. I am 100% this it what happened to you. Good luck!

MrNic

Help! MacBook Pro won't start - dim, flickering charger light.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.