Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my 30-inch cinema display often doesn't come on at startup and I have to disconnect it and reconnect to work.

I have a 30-inch cinema display connected to a Mac Mini. When I first boot up the computer after having it shut down for a couple of days, the display screen does not illuminate about half the time. If I disconnect the display from the power brick and then reconnect it usually comes on, although sometimes I have to do that more than once. It works fine once it on and displaying. Anyone else seeing this?

Rocketman

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 19, 2013 6:51 PM

6 replies

May 22, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Rocky Rakoon

Hi Rocky Rakoon,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

I understand that your Apple Cinema Display is not turning on upon startup. I'd like to reset the following, as it may resolve your issue:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

You may also want to reset your computer's PRAM:

OS X Mountain Lion: Reset your computer’s PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

Note: Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.

For more troubleshooting directly related to the Cinema Display, see this resource:

Apple Cinema Display: Troubleshooting steps

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2810

Thanks,

Matt M.

Jun 13, 2013 3:22 AM in response to Rocky Rakoon

Replying to Matt00 and Rocky:

I'm new to forums and hope I'm doing it correctly.

I have been having the same exact symptoms as Rocky and if my more mature memory serves me well, Apple Care senior advisors already did a number of reset like things with me including ACL plus different preferences changes, though I forgot which ones....

I am wondering a few things for Matt00 setup:

(1) What year is your 30" ? And do you have 4 cords coming from it?

(2) how do you have your 30" connected?

(3) What additional connectors including adapters are you using?

Last week I was in an Apple store re: my 30" intermittent illumination and a Genius told me that there is no 100% stable effective way to connect the 400 Fwire male from my 2006 30" into the 800 Fwire female port of my mid-2012 Mini BECAUSE the adapter I have between them is for DATA transmissions NOT display transmissions (my non-tech wording). She said that this would account for the monitor illuminating sometimes and sometimes not.

Wanting to know anyone's response to what I just wrote. How does this sound to you? Anyone try any creative ideas, or workarounds?

Good Luck and Blessings for each of us working with this.

Oct 29, 2013 6:46 AM in response to Lightbear

hi,

i've the same issue:

i have a macmini i7, late 2012 connected via mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI Adapter with my Apple Cinema Display 30" (2006).

i've also changed the cable but sometimes when i switch on the macmini i can see the image on the monitor, and sometimes it remains all black. To solve, i've to disconnect and reconnect the cable to my mini.

Lightbear, have you solved? i have this problem with mountain lion and also with mavericks.

Feb 1, 2016 2:08 AM in response to P910i

Hi Folks,

To begin, sorry for my english wording, I am french.

It seems we have quite the same problem.

I have a "End 2009" Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo) with this fabulous Cinema Display 30".

Problem is while awaking the computer after "a sleep" : frequently the screen remains black with the white led flickering 3 times.

It comes back correctly only if I disconnect and reconnect the DVI Dual connector (not the power connector).

I guess the problem comes from the synchronization between the Mac Mini and the Display through the DVI Dual adapter.

I will give you the serial number of my DVI Dual adapter to check if we all have the same version.

Regards,

Mar 23, 2016 10:16 AM in response to Rocky Rakoon

I have an MacBook Air on Yosemite.

I also have that issue with my Cinema Display (2011/12 i think).

Sporadically if i don't use it for a couple days i have to reset the SMC, Un plug Everything, Leave it for an hour, reset the PRAM.

Not one of the items fixes it, I usually have to reset it multiple times. I took it to the store once they said just leave it unplugged for an hour. That only worked the first time.

my 30-inch cinema display often doesn't come on at startup and I have to disconnect it and reconnect to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.