Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put projects into folders?

How do I put projects into folders? I can only drag them in from the left panel. I can't drag from the main view (with all the projects laid out in squares). I can't use the left panel because there are hundreds of project and it's difficult to navigate up and down with the list is so long.

Posted on May 19, 2013 8:00 PM

7 replies

May 19, 2013 8:35 PM in response to aapl.crox

Yeah -- I hear ya. Apple, however, has not. In fact, upgrades have made moving Projects ever more difficult. (We lost the ability to drag-and-drop between the Inspector and the Inspector HUD, and double-clicking a Project in Project View no longer selects that Project in the Library Inspector.) I have no idea why the Aperture designers have made the program less flexible. Please send them some feedback via "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback".

The only way to put Projects in Folders in to select and move the Project in the Library Inspector.

A few small hints may help:

- In Project View (what you describe above), click the "i" icon at the bottom right of the Project square, then click "Go to Project". This will select that Project in the Library Inspector.

- Create a top-level Folder called something like "__My Top-level Folder" (the underscores will force it to the top when an alpha sort is applied). Then use two steps to move Projects: move them to the top-level Folder, collapse the Projects section (or parts of it) and then open Folders so you can see the target Folder, and then move the Project to the target.

- If you are re-organizing your entire Library, make two new Folders called "My Old Library", and "My New Library". Put your entire Projects structure in "My Old Library". Now you can select a Project or Projects, and drag-and-drop them to "My New Library". Collapse "My New Library", and it will "spring open" when you hover over it while in the middle of a drag-and-drop operation.

- To collapse or expand everything to the level of any disclosure triangle, "{Option}+click" the triangle. The same holds true for the section controls "Show" and "Hide"

May 19, 2013 11:08 PM in response to aapl.crox

of 500+ projects and then drag all the way up to the top and then drop it in that folder

Kirby's recommendation is to shorten that dragging by collapsing the folders in between - click the disclosure triangle to close the folder that contains all your projects "My Old Library", then the distance to drag will be very short.

Another way to shorten the dragging distance would be filtering the source list in the Library Inspector panel. I tag the folders and projects I am currently working on (my current working set) as "Favorite". Then setting the search filter in the Library inspector panel to "Favorites" will hide all other folders and the Insector will only show the folders and projects I am working on.

• Ctrl-click the project or folder and select "add to Favorites".
  • Click the looking glass in the search field in the Library panel and select "Favorite items".

In the example below I want to move "Suedafrika2013Videos (1)" to "ProjekteFertig", and that is easy with only the few items showing.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2013 12:00 AM in response to aapl.crox

But if I close the folder "my old library" then it'll hide the project that I'm trying to move.

Good point. You can only collapse the destination folder, not the source folder.

That is where Kirby's second suggestion comes in handy: Use sorting to get the project to the top of the list. Rename the project temporarily and make the name start with "__", then sort the project list so that the project will be at the top of the list.

My most frequently used keywords and folder names also are named in a way to bring them to the top of all lists.

But to shorten the folder lists, I prefer the "Favorite" tag, because I do not have to rename the projects.

How do I put projects into folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.