Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

canon pixma mx435 halts on os x 10.8.3

Hi, I recently bought a new imac, and since then my scanner -Canon pixma mx435 halts half way through the scan, and won't complete it. I have to force-quit the scanning software (any kind of scanning software - either the one which came with the scanner or a different one) I have all the recent drivers from Canon website, (which support 10.8.3). This doesn't happen if I connect the machine to my older imac with an older OS. Any ideas?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 19, 2013 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2013 1:29 AM

There are two scanner drivers for many of the Canon multifunction devices. One is known as an ICA driver and this is used by Image Capture and Preview. The other scanner driver is a TWAIN driver that you use for scanning with MP Navigator and TWAIN applications like Acrobat Pro and Photoshop.

If you are having problems with using both drivers, ie. scanning with Image Capture and MP Navigator, then it would generally rule out it being a driver issue and more to do with the network connection. So working on the latter premise, if you open a web browser and enter the IP address of the MX as the URL, this will connect to the internal web page of the MX and the default page shows the wireless signal strength and S/N ratio. What values do you have?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2013 1:29 AM in response to shakob

There are two scanner drivers for many of the Canon multifunction devices. One is known as an ICA driver and this is used by Image Capture and Preview. The other scanner driver is a TWAIN driver that you use for scanning with MP Navigator and TWAIN applications like Acrobat Pro and Photoshop.

If you are having problems with using both drivers, ie. scanning with Image Capture and MP Navigator, then it would generally rule out it being a driver issue and more to do with the network connection. So working on the latter premise, if you open a web browser and enter the IP address of the MX as the URL, this will connect to the internal web page of the MX and the default page shows the wireless signal strength and S/N ratio. What values do you have?

May 20, 2013 2:01 AM in response to shakob

shakob wrote:

Thank you.

This happens with both ICA and TWAIN drivers. My scanner is connected with USB and not wireless, so.... :-/

Okay. So do I assume that you don't have the same symptom with printing from this new iMac?

If not, then I would be opening the Console utility and looking at the logs in the user Library (~/LibraryLogs) and root Library. I would expect that you should see an entry based on the application that you are using to scan with when the scanner is locking up during the scan.

May 20, 2013 2:27 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU,

Thank you very much for taking the time to solve my problem. I read againwhat you wrote about the wireless connection, and then thought to myself - hey, what if there is a communication problem, but not wiresless of course (as I am connected with usb) but cable communication problem! because the scanner did scan, but stopped in the middle of the scan, each time in a different stage. So I found a different usb cable, connected the printer to the mac and now everything works just great!

Thank you again!

canon pixma mx435 halts on os x 10.8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.