Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Nightmare

I have a problem with Apple's iCloud.

It all started a few months ago when a friend recommended my mom to activate the iCloud Sync on her iPhone. The friend, trying to be helpful, activated the automatic iCloud Sync to the existing iTunes account she used on her phone. The problem was, and is, that my mom does not have her own iTunes account but instead had been using mine because she has an aversion and general distrust of technology. This set-up of sharing an iTunes account with her was never a problem until I got a new 4S the following month, activated iCloud (which I had never used on my previous 3G because I had been avoiding that software update), and received all of her contacts, calendar dates, pictures, etc. I was annoyed and, being the oldest child of a generally technologically-challenged family, I was expected to solve the problem. My first thought was to make my mom her own iTunes account and change her over to that iCloud account. What I didn't know was changing iCloud accounts causes all information synced with the previous account to be erased off of the device, so my brilliant Plan A effectively blew up in my face. Two very stressful, scream-filled hours later I gave up trying to route her information from my iTunes/iCloud/iPhone to hers and just reactivated my iCloud on her phone to restore all of her info. I then relegated myself to deactivating iCloud sync on my own, new device and (manually!) deleted all of her stuff from my phone.

Fast-forward to today: My phone has been acting up, i would like to Restore it but I now have several months worth of information I don't want to lose. iCloud seems like the easiest way to back up my stuff, and in general I would like to be able to use my own iTunes account to store my own information. My mom is still technically the sole user of my iCloud and she now has an iTunes account that has not been used since my failed attempt to separate our siamese-synced iPhones. My mom is also a particularly high-strung neurotic who refuses to lose any information on her phone (she won't even let me touch her phone anymore since the iCloud fiasco, she thinks I'll "break the cloud" again).

Please help me separate my mother's information from my own so we can resume our own lives. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I've spent many hours on the phone and at the store with Apple Techs who are generally confused about this problem and how to solve it without my mom losing a good chunk of information.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 19, 2013 9:56 PM

1 reply

iCloud Nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.